Zilina is 5th largest town in Slovakia.
Recently there was a large investment from Kia Motors Company in Zilina. By mid 2007, Kia expect to be producing 300 000 units per year! A large automobile factory is being build in a nearby area and a lot of Kia employees from Korea have moved to Zilina. Because of this, you can find specialized Korean food sections in some larger supermarkets.
Direct trains from Prague, Warsaw, Moscow, Budapest and Bratislava. Trains can be caught from Bratislava main train station (Bratislava Hlavna Stanica) approximately every one to one and a half hours. The approximate fare for this trip is Sk 300.
Coach services from most of the major Slovak towns. The most comfortable way to get to Zilina is to use Albus Lines. You'll get a comfortable air-conditioned bus that only makes one additional stop between Bratislava and Zilina for only Sk 275.
Czech Airlines provide regular flights to Zilina from Prague (approximately Sk 5000 for return ticket). Transfers can be made from Bratislava airport on the number 61 bus (price Sk 16) to Bratislava main train station (Bratislava Hlavna Stanica). After that by train to Zilina.
Take a stroll in the historic centre and admire the old churches. Beautiful mountains around - Mala Fatra.
To Dance: Tanečná škola Plešinger Závodská cesta 6, 00421 41 7003 173, 00421 650 407 127, http://www.tanecnaskola.sk
Typical dishes and food products for the region made of sheep cheese:
- "bryndzové halušky" - pasta with soft sheep cheese
- "oštiepok" - smoked sheep cheese, similar to Polish "oscypek"
An example of just one budget restaurant I visited did a choice of set cooked meals, e.g. Pork escalopes/ a chicken and pasta dish/ a meat and rice dish/ at least three other similar choices, all served with potatoes and vegetable and a drink, all for a very reasonable SK120 (<$5 or £3). This was available at a pleasant little 'Trattoria' situated close to the Busy Marianske Nam. in the centre of town.
- Reštaurácia Vix, Sládkovičová 3 (in the corner of square "Marinaske namestie"), +421 41 562 6401 (<firstname.lastname@example.org>, mobile +421 903 502 177, fax +421 41 562 6431), . Every day 10AM-11PM. Stylish and modern. Video games, casino and billiard upstairs. Sk 89-Sk 400.
- Voyage Voyage up in the second of the square is very agreeable
Almost all Zilina hotels online.
- Ubytovňa Remy, Závodská cesta 3 (near roundabout called "Rondel"), +421 41 500 4200 (mobile +421 903 640 649), . Non-stop. One of the cheapest accommodation in Zilina. Sk 200-1000.
- The camping site Varín, Varín (11 kilometers east from Zilina towards [Terchova], road 583) . Summer season from 1st May to 15th October. Sk 75 per person; Sk 75 per tent; bungalows and chalets for 4 to 5 people from Sk 750 to Sk 1100.
- Econohotel garni, V. Spanyola 43 (red building on a hill), +421 41 565 0747 (<email@example.com>, mobile +421 911 422 008), . Non-stop. Sk 1770/2170-Sk 2570/2970 (Single/Double).
- Mountain hotel Bartoška, . A mountain resort hotel with its own ski slope, jacuzzi, and sauna.
- Hotel Slovakia an ex-communist hotel, it is functional and ver nice
- Hotel Dubná Skala, Hurbanova 8, +421 41 507 9100 (<firstname.lastname@example.org>, fax +421 41 507 9101), . Non-stop. Sk 2900/3500-Sk 3600/4600 (SIngle/Double).
- Palace Hotel Polom, Hviezdoslavova 22 (next to main train station), +421 41 504 8888 (<email@example.com>, fax +421 41 504 8333), . Non-stop. Sk 3100/3900-Sk 3900/4300 (Single/Double).
This page was last edited at 05:11, on 15 February 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Peter Fitzgerald and firstname.lastname@example.org, Wikitravel user(s) WTDuck2 and Wojsyl and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.