Ulyanovsk is the capital and principal city of Ulyanovsk Oblast.
Volga Dnepr Airlines has one daily flight from and to Moscow Vnukovo airport and POLET Air Company has one daily flight from and to Moscow Domodedovo airport respectively. Ulyanovsk Baratayevka Airport is located 9 km from the city center.
The train takes you here from Moscow (from Kazanskaya train station) in approximately 16 hours or from Volgograd in about 20 hours. Train tickets range from RUR 500 (USD 20) to RUR 5,000 (USD 200) one way, depending on the amount of privacy and comfort. Ulyanovsk Main Station is located 6 km from the city center.
Ulyanovsk has an extensive public transportation network that includes buses, trolleys, and trams. It is very affordable (5-6 RUR ~ $0.20 per trip), but congested and may be quite confusing. You won't find any route maps or schedules, neither at bus stops nor in buses. Fee collectors usually don't speak English. Express buses and semi-private van routes are more comfortable and more expensive. Taxis are expensive, but that's your best bet if you want to get somewhere (relatively) quickly, in comfort, and without much hassle. They are also most likely to have English speaking drivers.
As the home town of Lenin, it's worth visiting the Lenin Memorial Centre and Gardens and museums based in his former houses. There is also a museum dedicated to the poet 'Goncharov' and the war memorial at the end of the main street 'Ulitsa Goncharova' offers breathtaking views over the Volga.
In winter, try cross-country skiing along the Sviaga river, in summer take a boat ride over the reservoir.
The city's main shopping centre 'Tsum' is basic to say the least but does offer some basic shopping.
- At Gashek's, ul. Karla Marxa 5, ☎ +7 (8422) 44-00-38. 12:00 am - 1:00 am.
- Maxi Pizza, ul. Goncharova 19. 10:00 am - 12:00 pm. One slice (1/8 of a pizza) from RUR 35 each.
- Michel, ul. Karla Marxa 6, ☎ +7 (8422) 41-65-95. Serves good french food
- Okna, ul. Sovetskaya 19/9, ☎ +7 (8422) 42-78-77. Okna is on the second floor of hotel Venets.Tasteful meals start at RUR 200.
- Stariy Gorod, ul. Goncharova 30, second floor, ☎ +7 (8422) 41-74-71. 9:30 am-2:00 am.
- Pianino, ul. Goncharova 30, basement. 9:30 am-2:00 am.
- Hotel Europe, Moskovskoe Shosse 100-A, ☎ +7 (8422) 67-50-40(email@example.com), . - Small hotel in European style.
- Hotel Oktyabrskaya, ul. Plekhanova 1, ☎ +7 (8422) 42-12-65(firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +7 (8422) 31-47-19), . - This 3 star hotel (54 rooms) is located in the city center, close to the Kuybyshev reservoir (river Volga).
- Hotel Venets, ul. Sovetskaya 19/9, ☎ +7 (8422) 44-18-80 / 44-18-70(email@example.com, fax: +7 (8422) 44-15-67). checkout: 12:00 am. - This 3 star hotel (263 rooms) is located opposite the Lenin Memorial Centre and is more lively than hotel Oktyabrskaya.
This page was last edited at 10:48, on 12 April 2008 by Pascal Schoenmaekers. Based on work by Peter Fitzgerald and Stacy Hall, Wikitravel user(s) The Yeti and WindHorse and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.