Tirupati is in Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is most famous for its Sri Venkateswara Temple dedicated to Vishnu, also known as Balaji in North Indian and Govinda in South Indian. The temple is located on top of Tirumala hills, while the town is located on the foothills. The Tirumala hill has seven peaks ("Sapthagiri"), said to represent the seven hoods of Adisesha, the serpent under whose hoods Vishnu resides in Vaikuntha.
- Tirumala and Tirupati: 91-877-2277777
- Hyderabad : 91-40-23260590
- New Delhi : 91-11-23229991
- New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Visakhapatnam, Vellore and other district Head Quarters in AP.
Hyderabad Office Timings: 9AM to 4PM on weekdays, 9AM to 7PM on weekends, Tuesday Closed. Lunch From 1PM to 2PM.
Tirupati is on the southern part of Andhra Pradesh. Tirumala is located in the eastern ghats, a mountain range that runs along the south-eastern India. The temple of Lord Venkateswara is located on the seventh peak Venkatachala. The nearby town of Tiruchanoor (also known as Alamelu-mangapuram) is also covered in this page.
Lord Venkateswara also called the Lord of the seven hills. This temple has acquired a special sanctity in Hindu religion. The benefits that accrue by a pilgrimage to this holy town is mentioned in the Vedas and Puranas. Hindus all over the world believe that in Kali Yuga its possible to attain mukti only by worshipping Lord Venkateswara. Around 50,000 pilgrims visit the temple every day.PallavaCholaPandaya
Before you start for Tirumala its recommended that you
- Offer your prayers to your kuladeiva (family diety)
- Visit the temple of Lord Ganesha to ensure that the trip is not laden with obstacles
- Visit Tiruchanoor and offer your prayers to Goddess Padmavathi Ammavaru
- Visit Sri Varahaswami Temple on the northern bank of Swami Pushkarini at Tirumala
- Then offer your prayers to Lord Venkateswara
From Chennai airport to Tirupati: Use this route if you have little luggage and are comfortable walking for short distances (and want to try a cheaper, alternative route to Chennai Central). From Chennai airport, you can walk over to the local suburban railway station (Tirusulam, about 5 minutes away) and take a local train to Park Station (Rs. 7, about 30 minutes). Chennai Central is a 5-10 minute walk from Park Station. From Chennai Central, there are frequent long distance train services to Tirupati.
Tirupati is a major junction in South Central Railways. Indian Railways operates direct trains from near by metro cities - Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and other major Railway stations to Tirupati. Trains can be boarded at nearby cities - Renigunta (10 km from Tirupati) and Gudur (100 km) as well. Frequent bus service is available between Tirupati, Renigunta and Gudur.
National Highway NH 205 passes through Renigunta and hence is accessible from Chennai (4-6hrs), Bangalore (6½+ hours), Hyderabad (10-12 hours) and other nearby cities.
- Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) - from Hyderabad or from within Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu State Express Transport Corporation (SETC) - from Chennai
- Karnataka State Road Transport Coroporation (KSRTC) - from Bangalore
- S.R Travels [CAR ,Indica,Sumo,Qualis,Innova,Tempo traveler], chennai to tirupathi.
It is possible to go on a package tour from various places to Tirupati, with the operator taking care of transport, accommodation and sight-seeing.
Going from Chennai is not a bad idea as it is the nearest Airport which has international & Domestic connections.
- TTD Information Centre, V V R Dharmasala, 198 & 199, Peters Road Chennai - 600 014, 2) Manager TTD Information Centre 50, VenkataNarayana Road T Nagar Chennai – 600 017.) offers a package tour, but the person going on the tour has to do the reservation personally (and submit a photograph and fingerprints!) from one of the many TTD offices around the country
- Swarnandhra tours, from AP tourism +91 44 2433 3010, +91 44 2433 1977 (from Chennai. You will have to personally go and do the reservations.)  offers a two-day package tour from various places in the country, particularly from Bangalore and Chennai. Rs. 1,100 (For Chennai package tour, inclusive of accommodation and darshan at various temples.)
- TTD Information Centre 16th Cross, Vyalikavel, Bangalore - 560 003, Ph:080-23445432/23315361
Tirupati to Tirumala
Bans The Hotel,Chittoor a resort cum Water Park,70 kms to tirupati,40 kms to Sripuram Golden Temple and 7 kms to Knipakam. contact cell:09704771333 website:www.bansc.in
- Sri Venkateswara Temple
- Sri Varahaswami Temple
- Sri Bedi Anjaneyaswami Temple
- Sri Anjaneyaswami Temple
- Swami Pushkarini
Holy water sites
- Akasaganga Teertham
- Papavinasanam Teertham
- Pandava Teertham
- Kumaradhara Teertham
- Tumbhuru Teertham
- Ramakrishna Teertham
- Chakra Teertham
- Vaikuntha Teertham
- Sesha Teertham
- Sitamma Teertham
- Pasupu Teertham
- Japali Teertham
- Sanaka Sanandana Teertham
- Narayanagiri - Srivaari Paadaalu
- Vedagiri - Veda patashala
- TTD Gardens
- Asthana Mandapam
- Sri Venkateswara Dhyana Vignan Mandiram
- Deer Park
- Sri Vari Museum
- Sri Padmavathi Ammavari Temple, Tiruchanoor
- Sri Govindarajaswami Temple, Tirupathi
- Sri Kodandaramaswami Temple, Tirupathi
- Sri Kapileswaraswami Temple, Tirupathi
- Sri Kalyana Venkateswaraswami Temple, Srinivasa Mangapuram
- Sri Agasthyeeswaraswami Temple, Thondavada
- Sri Kalyana Venkateswaraswami Temple, Narayanavanam
- Sri Veda Narayanaswami Temple, Nagalapuram
- Sri Venugopalaswami Temple, Karvetinagaram
- Sri Prasanna Venkateswaraswami Temple, Appalayanagunta
- Sri Chennakesavaswami Temple, Tallapaka
- Sri Annapurna Sameta Kasi Visweswaraswami Temple, Bugga
- Visit the Sri Varaswamy temple before taking the darshan of Sri Venkateswara Swami. As per traditions and legend, Varaswamy owned the seven hills and agreed to give them to Venkateswara swamy on the condition that he is worshipped as well. Hence, Sri Venkateswara Swami asked his pilgrims to visit the Sri Varaswamy temple before visiting him
While in Tirumala don't
- Consume alcohol.
- Eat non-vegetarian food.
- Wear flowers - all flowers are for the Lord only.
- Spit or Litter or create any kind of Nuisance.
- Donot carry Mobile phone / Camera, while going for Darshan: They are bannned inside Temple only
When visiting the greatest of temples of the Lord Sri Venkateswara, one must not forget to purchase an image of the lord; only two photos have been taken Sri Venkateswara in history. There is also a very holy sweet which one must not forget to purchase at the temple. This is the renowned Tirupati Laddu, which is the main offering to the presiding deity of the temple. Mind you it tastes quite well too, so make sure to get lots of laddu.But you can't buy more than the prescribed number of laddus there, for one Sudarshana Kankanam they will give only two laddus
Other than these two products which are renowned in the region, many holy articles can also be purchased and a shopkeeper shall be only too happy to assist you with that.
The SAPTHAGIRI magazine was started as a TTD bulletin in 1949. It is now being circulated all over the country as an illustrated, religious magazine, released monthly, in five languages - Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Hindi and English.
After seeking the Darshan of Lord Venkateshwara Balaji you get free meal coupans at the Srivari temple. the food is simply tasty with serving of rice,sambhar,sabji,chutney and rasam.
Tirupathi and Tirumala is a pilgrimage town. People on pilgrimage don't drink or eat non-vegetarian food. Consumption of liquor is prohibited in Tirumala. Smoking is also not allowed in Tirumala.
For Drinking it is advisable to use bottled mineral water only as the water available here might be sour in taste. As mentioned in the later section, the laddu of tirupati is "nearly" as famous as the deity himself. One should not fail to have a taste of this very special and holy sweet.
Private Accommodation is available in Tirupati city with numerous hotels catering to the pilgrims. TTD provides for paid and free accommodation in Tirupati for pilgrims
Paid: Sri Venkateswara Dharmasala (Opp. Tirupati Railway Station), Sri Venkateswara Guest House (North of Railway Station), Sri Kodandarama Dharmasala (South of Railway Station) and TTD Alipiri Guest House (near foothills) offer non air-conditioned accommodation. Sri Padmavathi Guest House (on Chittor Road) offer air-conditioned accommodation
Free: Sri Govindaraja Dharmasala, Sri Kodanda Rama Dharmasala and Sr
TTD has built cottages in Tirumala that can be rented by pilgrims. There are 3 categories of accommodation, based on location:
- Sri Padmavathi Guest House Area (Rs 100 to Rs 250 for Non-AC accommodation, Rs. 500 to Rs. 2500 for AC accommodation, )
- Sri Venkateswara Guest House Area (Rs. 100 to Rs. Rs. 250 for Non AC accommodation, Rs 600 to Rs 750 for AC accommodation)
- Sr Varahaswami Guest House, Rambagicha, HUDC, Travellers Bungalows Cottages Area (Rs. 15 to Rs 150 for Non AC accommodation).
TTD also provides free accommodation in choultries. Pilgrims can contact Central Reception Office near Bus Stand for free accommodation.
Reservation for AC accommodation and Non-AC accommodation above Rs 100 per day can be made only at the Central Reception Office, Tirumala. For reservation of Non-AC accommodation upto Rs. 100 per day, Pilgrims can make reservations upto 30 days in advance. Reservations can be made in person at TTD Information Centres in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Visakhapatnam and other district Head Quarters in AP, by paying the requisite amount.
Alternately reservation can be made by sending a Demand Draft (DD) for Rs. 100 drawn on any Indian nationalised bank in favor of 'Assistant Executive Officer'. The DD has to be posted to Assistant Executive Officer (Reception-I) TTD, Tirumala - 517504. For multiple rooms, it is advised to take multiple DDs for Rs 100 each.
Be warned that at times of the year, and around festive occasions you have to book in advance. If you are travelling budget, your best bet is to stay with the TTD, the rooms tend to be clean, well lit and the housekeeping facilities are acceptable. Suggested places, other than TTD lodges are the Kashi Mutt, Ahobila Mutt, Kanchi Mutt among several others (all are close to each other on a ring road, and can be approached by foot from the temple). Be warned though that priority is given to people associated with the mutt's community and you will neither get room service nor air conditioned rooms - but the rooms are well maintained, clean and come with clean beds and sheets. For the Mutt maintained lodges, prior registration is strongly advised.
- Global Tourism Promotions, Hyderabad - Has Special Packages for visit to TIRUPATI / TIRUMALA. For Customized Tours and sightseeing contact : 9440082627, 9490942788.