Shaoguan (韶关) is a small city in Guangdong province. It is famous for its surrounding nature and the hot springs.
- A train ride from Guangzhou takes about 3 hours and should cost 39 Yuan on the hard seater.
The main bus terminal is just next to train station of Shaoguan. Buses leave from here to the major sights. Locally operating buses start here, but the town center is within walking distance. Just cross the river opposite the train station and you are almost there.
Tourist guides will occasionally offer their services to newly arrived travellers. Prices obviously are subject to negotiation.
- Nan-hua Temple (南化神寺) - the former temple of Huineng (the sixth patriarch of Zen Buddhism) and the location of his mummified remains.
- Danxia Mountain (丹霞山) - A canyon like valley carved into the stone. The main attractions include an old monastery on top and various formations with sexual characteristics.
Restaurants in Shaoguan are not set as densly as in Guangzhou. A good place to find many restaurants is Heping Street (和平路) at the northern end of the main shopping and pedestrian area. The choices include a McDonalds and various Chinese cuisines.
- The Dongyuan Hotel (东园招待所) is located next to the river at the junction of Jianguolu (健国路) and Dongdinanlu (东堤南路). Rooms can be bargained down to 50元 per bed and night.
- Hot Spring hotel (泉景酒店) at No. 1 Huanyuan West Street (环园西路一号). Tel: (0751) 8186068
- Danxia Hotel (大丹霞酒店) at no. 128 Jiefang Street (解放路128号). Tel: (0751) 8188206