Salzburg is one of the smaller provinces of Austria. On an area of about 7,100 km² there are living a bit more than 500,000 people. Most of the area is surfaced by the Alps, only the northern part is rather even. There you can find the largest city and capital of the state Salzburg. Most important income is the tourism. Arts and Culture is an important part of the tradition: Mozart, the annual Salzburg Festival, the mystery play Jedermann (Everyman).
- Salzburg (city) -- capital of Salzburg and largest city in the area
- St. Johann/Pongau
- Zell am See
- Oberndorf bei Salzburg - Famous for being the place the the "Silent Night, Holy Night" carol was first performed.
Although the national language of Austria is German, in everyday life, most Austrians do not speak standard German, and local dialect are often present. Most Austrian dialects are related to the Bavarian dialect, but quite distinct from the German of the rest of Germany.
English, however, is widely spoken, and the only area most tourists have linguistic problems with is translating food.
As always, if you make an effort to be courteous and kind, you are more than likely to receive the same courtesy in return.
Take the Cable Car up to Festung Salzburg (Salzburg Castle) for a guided tour of the castle. Outstanding 360 degree views of the surrounding countryside can be found up top.
Numerous Sound of Music tours  are also available as are a variety of coach group tours of various regional sights.
The region is famous for its Alpine Lakes, so do be sure to check them out.
Probably the best address to eat original Austrian food at an adequate price is the restaurant "Goldener Stern" in the Getreidegasse, the former home of W. A. Mozart. It´s the only restaurant which is easy to find and where nobody will try to make you waste your money for junk food. The waiters and waitresses are nice and friendly. Here you can enjoy "Salzburger Nockerln" as well as "Topfenstrudel". If you like to eat for dinner or lunch you won´t be disappointed as well. The atmosphere of the restaurant is beautiful. In the middle of it´s garden full of trees and flowers there´s an old Austrian stagecoach where children can play.
- Grand Park Hotel Bad Hofgastein, Kurgartenstrasse 26, A-5630 Bad Hofgastein, ☎ +43 (0) 6432 6356-0(firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +43 (0) 6432 8454). Grand Park Hotel Bad Hofgastein
- Spa Hotel Ubergossene Alm(Wellnesshotel Salzburg, Austria), Sonnberg 54, A-5652 Dienten, Salzburg, ☎ +43 (0) 6461 230-0(welcome@UebergosseneAlm.at, fax: +43 (0) 6461 230-62), . 4 star wellnesshotel in Dienten, Salzburg in Austria. The Wellness Hotel Übergossene Alm informs about Wellness & Spa, Skiing in Austria, hiking, cross country skiing, mountain hiking and climbing, mountainbiking, snowboarding as well as romantic holidays, family holidays with child care, excursions in Salzburg. Package deals and special offers are available for online booking. Spa WellnessHotel Ubergossene Alm
- Hotel Mavida (Balance Hotel & Spa), Kirchenweg 11, 5700 Zell am See, ☎ +43 (0) 6542 5410(email@example.com, fax: +43 (0) 6542 56760), .
- MONDI-HOLIDAY Bellevue, Karl-Heinrich-Waggerl-Straße 9, 5640 Bad Gastein, ☎ +43 (0) 6434 6006(firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +43 (0) 6434 6006-66), .
- Hotel Kesselspitze, A-5562 Obertauern, No. 127, ☎ +43 (0) 6456 7400(email@example.com, fax: +43 (0) 6456 7576-56). Hotel Kesselspitze
- Hotel Edelweiss, A-5562 Obertauern, No. 124, ☎ +43 (0) 6456 7245(firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +43 (0) 6456 7416-55). Sporthotel Edelweiss
- Hotel Frau Holle, A-5562 Obertauern, No. 196, ☎ +43 (0) 6456 7662(email@example.com, fax: +43 (0) 6456 7663-60). Hotel Frau Holle
- Hotel Europäischer Hof Bad Gastein, Miesbichlstraße 20, 5640 Bad Gastein, ☎ +43-(0)6434-2526-0(firstname.lastname@example.org), .
- Hotel Perner, A-5562 Obertauern 67, ☎ +43-(0)6456 7236(email@example.com, fax: +43 (0)6456 7504). Hotel Perner
- Appartement & Suiten Hotel Glöcknerin, 5562 Obertauern 18, ☎ +43-(0)6456 7805(firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +43 (0)6456 7805-44). Appartement & Suiten Hotel Glöcknerin
This page was last edited at 12:51, on 27 March 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Peter Fitzgerald, Wolfgang Reindl, Andrew Haggard, Ryan Holliday, Colin Jensen and Rob Payne, Wikitravel user(s) Morph, Oztraveller, Episteme, Brendio, Nzpcmad and Fido, Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel and others.