Saint Louis Metro East
The St. Louis metropolitan area is mostly in Missouri to the west and north of the city, but it does spill over into Illinois to some degree, especially to the north-east and along a line toward Belleville Illinois to the east.
- East Saint Louis - Historically the biggest city in the southern third of Illinois, East Saint Louis has experienced grave population loss since the middle of the 20th century and while vast is now less populated than many of the area's smaller cities.
- Belleville - Just southeast of East Saint Louis, and now the bigger of the two cities by a vast margin.
- Alton - Historic Homes, 50 Antique Shops, 9 Golf Courses, Bed and Breakfasts, Meeting of the Great Rivers National Scenic Byway, and Argosy Alton Casino among other things.
- O'Fallon - North of Belleville and home to the U.S. Air Force's blimp squadron
- Swansea - An historical town about fifteen minute drive from Saint Louis.
- visit Collinsville for the World's Largest Catsup Bottle Birthday Party held in July
Bed and Breakfast Inns
- Beall Mansion,  407 East 12th Street, Alton, IL 62002 (618) 474-9100 or Toll Free 1-866-The-BEALL (1-866-843-2325). Voted "Best Illinois Bed and Breakfast" -Illinois Magazine Readers Poll. Elegant accommodations for pleasure or business, weddings and wedding receptions, corporate retreats.
- Tiffany Inn,  410 E. Broadway St. Alton, IL 62002, (618) 462-4145. Charming bed and breakfast above the Alton Stained Works in the historic Downtown Alton. Located in the heart of Alton's antique district.
- Jackson House Bed and Breakfast,  1821 Seminary St. Alton, IL 62002, 618) 462-1426. Victorian home, barn, and earth home known as "the cave." The cave is one of the few handicap accessable bed and breakfasts in the area.
- Beall Mansion,  407 East 12th Street, Alton, IL 62002 (618) 474-9100 or Toll Free 1-866-The-BEALL (1-866-843-2325). This Boutique Hotel and Bed and Breakfast was voted "Best of Illinois" in Illinois Magazine Readers Poll. Leisure, corporate, and extended stay plans are available. Weddings and reception facilities and corporate retreats.
- Stratford Hotel, 229 Market, Alton, IL 62002, (618) 465-8821. Fifty room hotel and apartments. Air conditioning, Cable TV, Pets allowed.
East St.Louis has the reputation locally of being one of the most dangerous towns in the United States.
This page was last edited at 02:09, on 15 June 2008 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by M. Hogue, Stacy Hall, Beall Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn and Mark Jaroski and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.