There has been a settlement at Rimini since prehistoric times. Founded by the Romans in 268 B.C., Rimini boasts a 2,000-year history that has left important marks testifying to its grandeur. To the Romans, Ariminum was a link between the "Italic" and the "Gallic" lands, a stronghold on the Adriatic and a gateway to the Po valley. Three major roads converged here - the Flaminian Way, the Aemilian Way and the Popilian Way.
Rimini today is a thriving, bustling resort on the Italian Riviera that boasts "over a thousand hotels". It is one of the least pretentious towns in Italy, and has a well-deserved reputation for.
This is a place where the Italians go for their sea and sun, and therefore the food is excellent as well as the people being friendly and helpful. You won't find many tour buses filled with Americans or English here! This also means, however, that few speak anything but Italian, so be sure to take your phrase book with you. The locals will work with you and are always happy to see a foreigner at least trying to communicate in their language.
As a renowned resort area, Rimini has its own airport. Rimini International Airport (IATA: RMI) Buses run the 7km from the airport to the railway station in the centre of the town.
Some discount airlines go to Forli, Forli Airport (IATA: FRL) which is around 55 km from Rimini.
Most hotels are within walking distance of the beach and the centre, but if you want to take a trip along the coast or inland, buses run regularly from the train station and are frequent and cheap.
- The Augustus Arch, a Roman arch built to celebrate the Roman emperor who lent it his name
- The Tiberius Bridge, the Roman bridge that marks the beginning of the Aemilian Way
- The Domus of the Surgeon an impressive archeological area documenting 20 centuries of Rimini history.
- Tempio Malatestiano, 35 Via IV Novembre, ☎ +39 0541 51130. open M-Sa 8:30AM-12:30PM, 3:30PM-7PM, and Su, 9AM-1PM, 3:30PM-7PM. bizarre burial chapel for Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, the lord of the city, together with his mistress Isotta degli Atti and the Malatesta family..
Lounge on the 15km of beaches. Known as La Marina, the beachfront is by far the number one reason anybody comes to Rimini. Yes, there is an old town, but this is generally ignored by most tourists although its major historical and cultural value with valuable monuments dating back to Roman and medieval era.
Over winter, the marina side becomes a ghost town with a lot of shops shutting until the warm season starts up again, but the city centre is open all year round offering cultural events, good restaurants and great shopping opportunities, especially during sales period (jan-feb).
The new Rimini Fair host several important congress and fairs with a busy autumn-winter-spring schedule Rimini Fiera.
In late 2009 the new congress center will open very near the center of the city.
Remember to take a dip in the Adriatic. The bay is warm and inviting and home to many interesting and friendly mammals.
Downtown are the best fashion boutiques, where is it possible to find the best Italian designer brands (Gucci, Prada, Armani, D&G, ...). In early 2006 the first and one of the biggest (in Romagna) shopping malls, called "Le Befane", opened. It's so big that it changed the landscape of the west side of the city. For typically tourist stuff, the beachfront has small souvenir shops. If you enjoy scandalising the family or even your home country's postal service, don't miss some of the more risqué postcards on sale at any one of a number of the little shops on the seafront.
In Rimini you can find several good places to eat. Since the city is on the seashore it is suggested to have a fish-based dish. Some of the best restaurant are: Lo Squero, Il Lurido, Da Guido, Marinelli. Usually with every dish you will get the famous "Piadina", a thin and very tasty sort of bread.
At the beach in the San Guiliano a Mare area, there are restaurants on the beach where one typically dines Al Fresco in warm weather. Although one might be wary of such establishments, the food is excellent and inexpensive. A typical dinner might cost only 5-6 euros for the meal alone. Sometimes they offer a multi-plate dinner (good for 2 or even 3 persons) for 18 euros that includes a 1/4 litre of wine. There are also excellent restaurants just off the main streets.
The whole town is geared towards tourists, so the night life is very good and there are bars everywhere. Once the sun goes down, the streets of Rimini come alive with lights, colour and noise as the sunbathers of the day become the revellers of the evening. There are however no "real" clubs in Rimini; only bars with dance floors. For real clubbing you have to go to Riccione, the next town over, which is about a 15 minute drive away. There is however one club called Carnaby's which is on the outskirts of Rimini and it has a free shuttle bus; the club is also within walking distance.
- Albergo Aquila, Via Porto Palos 13, ☎ +39 0541 734504(firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +39 0541 734504), . checkin: 12,00; checkout: 10,00. Hotel to spend relaxing holidays in Viserba The family-run Aquila Hotel is characterized by a welcoming and comfortable environment and a quiet and relaxing atmosphere and is situated a short distance from the sea. What we offer can’t be explained in words but only perceived: we created an atmosphere which is able to stimulate senses through passion and tradition. Wearing flip-flops and swimsuits you can go out from the hotel and reach the beach of Viserbella di Rimini to enjoy both sun and sea. If you want more, we are situated 3 kilometres far from the Fair of Rimini and in a privileged position to visit the parks Italia in Miniatura, Aquafan, Oltremare, Mirabilandia and Le Navi. If you are looking for such a kind of holiday, the Aquila Hotel will be pleased to welcome you with the traditional warm hospitality from Romagna. . 25 - 60. (12°31'56,44°05'32)
- Albergo Viking(Hotel Viking), Viale Galatea 4(Family Antonioli), ☎ +39 (0)541 721064(email@example.com, fax: +39 (0)541 721064), . checkin: 12 a.m.; checkout: 10 a.m.. We are a nice hotel in Viserbella di Rimini , Rimini Nord , near the beach , We have a wonderful cooking and a lot of services for you and your family , a sunny pool , a great hydro Jacuzzi in the garden , car parking , garden with games for children and a lot more , Come to see us. - An Oasi to discover -
- Jammin' Party Hostel Rimini(Youth Hostel-Backpacker Hostel / Ostello di Rimini), Viale Derna 22, 47900 RIMINI, ☎ +39.0541.390800 Fax +39.0541.1792122(firstname.lastname@example.org), . A GREAT YOUNG PERSONS HOSTEL! Voted #1 Youth-Backpacker Hostel in Rimini by Lonely Planet, Let's Go, MTV travel guides. This is the ideal meeting point for all the young people from all around the world and offers 100% FUN! Perfectly located just 2 streets away from the beach and 10 min. walk in a green park to the city centre and the railway station. Viale Vespucci is only 100m away, the main promenade full of shops, nice pubs, good restaurants and famous clubs (discount tickets at the Reception). On the street there is also the bus stop to easily link to all Riviera di Rimini. FREE breakfast, FREE WiFi Internet, FREE Bycicles, FREE Linen+towel, Open 24h, every day Happy-hour and Summer parties: cheap&best place to stay in Rimini!(44°3',12°34')
- Hotel duoMo, Via Giordano Bruno 28, 47900 Rimini. The hotel is located in the heart of the historical city centre of Rimini, a city with a rich history dating from Roman times with gorgeous beaches and an amazing night life. Close to the most important cultural places of the city, museums, boutiques, restaurants and exclusive clubs. Federico Fellini International Airport is 15 kilometres (nine miles) from the hotel and the train station only 400m.
- Hotel Palazzo Viviani, Via Roma 38, 47837 Montegridolfo (RN). Palazzo Viviani is located in the municipality of Montegridolfo, in the hilly countryside of Rimini's Province, between the cities of Rimini and Urbino. The Adriatic coast that can be seen from the castle is 20 km away.
- Hotel Continental e dei Congressi, Viale Vespucci 40, ☎ +39-0541-391300(email@example.com, fax: +39-0541-391350), . Four star hotel with 116 rooms
- Hotel Kyriad Vienna, V.le Regina Elena, 11, ☎ +39 0541.391744(firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +39 0541.391032), .
- Hotel River, Via Ortigara, 21, ☎ +39 0541/26904, . Air conditioning 5 euros extra per night. A nice little hotel right on the beach with private parking [a must] with a superb breakfast bar laden with healthy and tasty treats, and unlimited coffee from a machine. Even machine made coffee in Italy surpasses ordinary coffee in most other countries.Doubles from 60 euros per night, singles from 40 euros..
- Sunflower Beach and Sunflower City Backpacker Hostels, via Dardanelli 102 , e via Siracusa 25, 47900 Rimini, ☎ +39 0541373432(email@example.com), . The city hostel has the perfect location in which to explore the historical centre of Rimini while still being minutes walk from the sandy beach, train/bus station and local attractions. Situated in a quite residential area this hostel has something to suit everyone. Free breakfast and internet, laundry facilities, fully equipped kitchen, 24hr security. Open all year. Everything you need is on your doorstep.from 14 € per person.
- Hotel Euopa Rimini, Viale A. Vespucci, 83, ☎ +39 03631830407(firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +39 03631830407), . Affordable, clean and modern 3 star hotel in Rimini with private beach, located on the seafront. Easy access to main services, amenities and nightlife.
Holiday Inn, Viale Vespucci 16, ☎ +39-0541-52255 (email@example.com, fax: +39-0541-28806), . Four star hotel with 64 rooms
This page was last edited at 17:00, on 23 March 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Stefan Ertmann, Felicity T and David, Wikitravel user(s) Hot Coffee and Travelbubble, Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel and others.