Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca is a small coastal town in Caribbean Costa Rica in the province of Limón. It is popular with surfers and backpackers. This is an area where foreigners are buying and building. There are two gorgoeus National Parks nearby - Cahuita and Manzanillo, and it rains more than on the Pacific side, which is why it is so lush and green with the rainforest coming down to the sea.
The local bus leaves 4-5 times a day direct from Caribe Station in San José. Last bus leaves at 4pm and all buses are direct with one pit stop outside of Limon. The ride is approx 4 hours. Make sure you get on the bus to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, not de Sarapiquí which is a different part of the country.
If you want to save a few colones, you can take local bus from Caribe station to Limón and transfer to Puerto Viejo bus. This is what many locals do.
There are also tourist buses that will pick you up at your hotel and drop you off where you want. The most popular one is Interbus. There is also EasyRide and Grayline.
Driving here is also popular, but roads can be bad as at certain times of the year, the pot holes can get obnoxious. However, you really don't need a car when you are here. Most people rent bicycles and scooters. The roads may not be all paved, but they are flat as they all follow beach line.
The bus system is excellent. Most lodges have bicycles for rent too.
- The beaches are gorgeous, but like everywhere in Central America, watch those riptides.
- There are beautiful birds, butterflies and animals to be seen.
- There is also the Iguana Conservation Tour at Iguana Verde Foundation, you can check the tour futures at 
Rent a bike and ride it the full 26km round trip to Manzanillo and back. Make it a day trip. Each time you see a side road leading to the ocean, follow it for a hundred meters or so and you will usually find a beautiful secluded beach. It's a long but easy, flat ride. If you'd like to cut the ride short you could make your destination Punta Uva.
- CARIBE SUR Real Estate(CARIBE SUR), Playa Chiquita(next to the Waldorf School), ☎ 506 2750 0308, . CARIBE SUR Real Estate is a full service real estate company on the southern Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, assisting clients to buy or sell eco friendly properties and businesses. They offer the finest selection of properties for sale on the Caribbean Coast including homes, lots, beach lands, farms, hotels, eco resorts, bars and restaurants from Cahuita to Hone Creek, Bribri, Puerto Viejo, Cocles, Playa Chiquita, Punta Uva, Manzanillo and the surrounding areas. The agency is the established leader in the area with strong reputation of consistent professionalism over the years.
Soda Lydia, The Mission, Jammin' and Pizza Boruca
Instead of huge hotels, there are lots of ecolodges from basic to luxury, and lots of places to eat and party. Many hotels are located on the road along the coast, starting in Puerto Viejo until Manzanillo. In town, the hotel Casa Verde is reasonable in price, very clean and has a large pool. There is another place at Punta Uva call Tree House Lodge, unique houses in front of the beach, you can check it out at ''
- Green Management Vacation Home Rentals(Green Rentals), Playa Chiquita(next to the Waldorf School), ☎ 506 2750 0437, . checkin: 2 pm; checkout: 11 am. For a variety of Vacation House Rentals, please consider visiting Green Management.
- Hotel Banana Azul, Playa Negra(1 mile North of Town on Beach), ☎ 2750-2035, . checkin: 1pm; checkout: Noon. Tropical Boutique Beach Front Hotel. Not interested in Golf Courses, Tennis Courts, Country Clubs and "pre-fab" vacations? Looking to experience some more culture and nature on your vacation in Costa Rica? Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo might be just what you're looking for. Your hosts Colin (from Vancouver, Canada) and Roberto (from San Jose, Costa Rica) have built a hotel out of 100% local hardwoods that has 12 beautiful guest rooms, all with private bath and free wireless internet to accommodate adventurous travelers looking for a comfortable, tranquil place to stay while visiting the Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica $79.
- Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages, Puerto Viejo Central(100 meters west of the soccer field), ☎ 2750-0001, . checkin: 1 pm; checkout: 11 am. Seven fully-equipped one, two and three bedroom vacation rentals in a secure compound. Maid service, wi-fi, pool, walking distance to town (5 minutes), beaches, restaurants, shops. Fantastic tropical gardens, wildlife, ocean views, eco lodge, vegan/vegetarian friendly, living, dinning, verandas, hammocks, owners on site.varies.
- LA FINCA CHICA(Fincachica), Cocles. Miss Winny Town(2 miles south of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca), ☎ + 506 2 750 19 19, . checkin: 14:30; checkout: 12:00. What if you could spend some time with your family or friends at a beautiful wooden house next to the jungle and close to a full bunch of tropical white sand beaches with sky-high palm trees? Fincachica offers you 4 fully equipped, exquisitely designed, wooden houses located in a 2.5 acres, safe and quiet, landscaped property. Houses are equipped with amenities such as phone, sat TV, dsl internet access, city drinking water, orthopaedic matresses, gas stove with oven...Maid service is also provided on a daily basis so you can enjoy 100% of your time in paradise. Fincachica is ideal for nature lovers looking for adventure, relaxation and fun. A place where time has no meaning.45-135 USD.
The small road goes further south through villages like Cocles and Punta Uva, both with small houses for rent.
This page was last edited at 15:13, on 13 March 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Peter Fitzgerald, Todd VerBeek, Jocelyn, email@example.com, Colin, Tom Holland and proudlock, Wikitravel user(s) Dragueur09 and Airin and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.