The city of Puerto Madryn is in the north east of Chubut Province in the Patagonia region of Argentina. The city is located on the shores of Gulfo Nuevo, a large deep water bay of the Atlantic Ocean. The city is a popular summer destination for its beach. The current population is estimated between 60,000 to 70,000. The city has been growing rapidly in the last few years due mainly to the expanding tourism industry, fishing and Aluar-the aluminum refinery. Puerto Madryn is the gateway to nearby Peninsula Valdes.
The area was first populated by the indigenous Tehuelche people. The first Europeans to settle in the area were Welsh arriving in 1865. They named the city for Baron Madryn of Wales.
- Car:reached by Ruta 3
- Bus: there are long distance bus connections to Buenos Aires, Mar del Plata, Rio Gallegos and other destinations.
- Plane: Puerto Madryns Airport is located 10 minutes from downtown. Currently there are three flights per week from Buenos Aires on Andes Airlines. Aerolineas Argentinas flies to Trelew, which is an hour from Puerto Madryn. Shuttle buses operate from the airport in Trelew to Puerto Madryn and cost arg$20.
Puerto Madryn has a city bus system. Taxis are numerous. Rental cars are available.
- From Puerto Madryn daytrips run to Punta Tombo. This is a penguin colony where you can walk among thousands of penguins between the months of October and March.
- Often combined with a visit to Punta Tombo is a boat trip to spot the small black-and-white Commerson's dolphins. During the months of June through March.
- Many tour agents run trips to visit Peninsula Valdes.
- Punta Loma, seventeen kilometers southwest of Puerto Madryn is a sea lion reserve. It can be reached by bike.
- The EcoCentro is a great and modern marine interpretation centre offering interactive information on marine life in the region. Located overlooking the gulf to the south of the city on Julio Verne 784. 
- Whale Watching, the Southern Right Whale uses the waters of Gulfo Nuevo for breeding and giving birth. They are easily seen from the shore and pier. Whale watching boats depart from Puerto Pyramides located on Peninsula Valdes.
- Kite boarding and wind surfing.
- Diving in Gulfo Nuevo. The water has very good clarity and no current.
- Horse riding
- Ocean fishing
The three story shopping center located right downtown has some nice upscale shops. There are many specialty stores located in the city center.
There are many good seafood restaurants along the seafront. These include:
- Cantina El Nautico, Av Roca 790(On the corner of Roca and Leopoldo Lugones), ☎ 02965 471404, . AR$120 for meal for two with wine.
There is a good number of bars and clubs in Puerto Madryn. As in the rest of Argentina the weekend partying goes throughout the night.
- La Tosca, Sarmiento 437, 02965-456133. Family run hostel with a couple of double rooms and a mixed dorm.
- El Gualicho, Marcos A Zar 480, 02965-454163 . Very popular and comfortable backpackers hostel. Offers very nice rooms and excellent travel information.
- Posada Del Catalejo, Mitre 446, 02965-475224 . Excellent family run hostel. Friendly English speaking staff.
- Viajeros, Gobernador Maiz 545, 02965-456457 . Good location and very friendly staff.
This page was last edited at 21:30, on 4 January 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Gabriela Reiss, Tom Shenhav, Douglas, jan, Leendert Jan and Evan Prodromou, Wikitravel user(s) Ronald and Huttite and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.