Port Said (Bur Said) is a city in Egypt, the entry point of the Suez Canal by the Mediterranean. It is situated on one bank of the canal, facing its twin city, Port Fouad (Bur Fouad).
direct connections with Alexandria and Cairo.
Louis Cruise Lines from Limassol (Cyprus)
- Free shuttle between Port Said and Port Fouad.
- The port facilities (modern & ancient)
- The passing through of the canal convoys (supertankers and container ships)
- The rests of the old town (bombed during the 1956 Canal War)
- The bazaar.
Port Said Military Museum
Inaugurated in 1964. It consists of several halls which showcase several battles fought by the Egyptian Army and the people of Port Said:
- the hall of ancient ages: pharaonic, Islamic and modern age
- 1956 canal invasion
- other wars against Israel (1967 & 1973).
Military/militaristic paintings, bas-reliefs, statues. Captured war material. Models.
Entry: 5 EGP (as of 2007-04-11), camera 2 EGP.
Some oldies from the French and English communities can be found from time to time (books...), and of course the unavoidable and omnipresent tourist collectibles.
Lots of nice and cheap fruit bars.
No night life in Port Said or Port Fouad, except at the numerous chicha bars.
This page was last edited at 12:08, on 3 March 2009 by Ian Sergeant. Based on work by Renaud d'Avout d'Auerstaedt, Wikitravel user(s) Lakerhaug and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.