Pennsylvania Dutch Country
Pennsylvania Dutch Country is a region in Pennsylvania also referred to as South Central Pennsylvania. The region is home to many major tourist attractions such as Lancaster county's Amish country, Harrisburg's state capitol and museums and Hershey's chocolate world and theme park.
While Pennsylvania Dutch Country consists of a lot of rural areas and is noted for its high Amish population, it is home to over 1.5 million people and maintains one of the highest rates of population growth in the Northeast United States due to lower cost of living but close proximity to major metropolitan areas. It is truly a diverse region with rolling hills, orchards and farms but also growing, vibrant yet historic cities.
There are several regional airports in south central Pennsylvania but the largest and most used is Harrisburg International Airport  (MDT) located in Middletown, just minutes from Harrisburg and PA Route 283. Harrisburg International Airport has over a dozen non-stop flights to cities in the U.S. and Toronto in Canada.
The easiest way to get around the region is by car. There is an extensive network of roads and the area is criss-crossed by several major interstates (81, 76, 83) and U.S. routes (11, 15, 22, 30).
Amtrak's high-speed Keystone line  travels through Lancaster and Dauphin county with stops in Lancaster, Mount Joy, Elizabethtown, Middletown and Harrisburg is useful if traveling between Lancaster and Harrisburg but does not link up the rest of the region.
- Plain and Fancy Farm, . Good all-around tour of the Amish community including a restaurant, bus tours and a movie. Particularly good if you're a foreign visitor without a car.
- Miller's Smorgasbord, 2811 Lincoln Highway East Ronks, PA 17572(On the left side of Rt 30. About a mile past rt 896 when travelling East.), ☎ 1-800-669-3568, . Very authentic Dutch food for a fair price. Restaurant is often crowded, so reservations are highly recommended. There are many shops on the premises which are well worth checking out.
- Park City Center, 142 Park City Center, Lancaster, . The region's largest shopping mall featuring over 180 stores.
- Hershey Harrisburg Official Visitors Center 
- Lancaster County Pennsylvania Dutch Country Official Visitors Center 
This page was last edited at 17:08, on 10 March 2009 by Wikitravel user Danwxman. Based on work by Jim Logan, Jonathan Anderson, David, Frederick Heald and Andrew Haggard, Wikitravel user(s) PAWiki, LtPowers and Kire1975 and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.