Novi Sad is the capital of Vojvodina, the northern region of Serbia. Situated on the Danube River between Budapest and Belgrade, it is a treasured regional and cultural centre. Novi Sad is home to EXIT, a large 5 day music festival which takes place each July at Petrovaradin fortress.
- Orientation: Novi Sad is located about 80km to the northwest of Belgrade, about 300km from Budapest, 424 km from Ljubljana, 309km from Zagreb, 548 km from Podgorica, and 100km from the border town (with Hungary) of Subotica.
- By car there is a direct highway between Belgrade and Novi Sad. 280 - 430 RSD toll fare for passenger cars.
- Public transport: Using the bus is the most recommended option. The bus stations for long-distance trips are at Bulevar Jase Tomića 6 and at the corner of Sentandrejski Put and Novosadskog partizanskog odreda, near "Novosadska Mlekara" (Novi Sad's dairy plant). Internationally, the city has frequent bus connections to Budapest in Hungary, Zagreb, Vukovar, Osijek in Croatia, Sarajevo and Banja Luka in Bosnia and Hercegovina, and Budva, Tivat, Podgorica, Herceg Novi in Montenegro.
- From Belgrade Airport: there is no easy bus connection. Some companies run regular cars between Belgrade Airport and Novi Sad, e.g. Gonzales Taxi, tel. +381 63 514 850 (English Speaking).
- Walk, the city centre is actually quite small and most of the interesting sights, bars and hotels are all within easy walking distance.
- Public transport service. . Novi Sad has an excellent bus service. In town bus fares are around 40 RSD.
- Taxis are not overly expensive (by Western standards), the minimum fare varies between 80 and 100 RSD, with a cross-city trip typically costing 150-200 RSD. It helps to have the address written out although many taxi drivers speak fair, sometimes even excellent, English. However, be careful of taxis unaffiliated with one of the major firms (especially at the train station), or you may pay up to four times more than your fare should be. Some good taxi companies: Pan, Vojvodjani, SOS, Delta, Novus, Naš, Lav.
- The fortress of Petrovaradin on the right bank of the Danube. A fortress that no enemy has ever taken, it now contains a museum, "Muzej Grada Novog Sada" gathering all ancient objects of the region from the prehistorical era until today, large number of small art studios and living spaces of artists, underground military galleries - corridors, few clubs and few cafes and a delicatessen. It also has a small Observatory and Planetarium , open on Saturdays from 7pm-12pm. The observatory is open when skies are clear, while the Planetarium, which is near the Museum, is open every Saturday. The staff are young, fun and speak excellent English. The 5* hotel and three restaurants offer beautiful views of the Danube and of Novi Sad, and have recently been reopened, after extensive renovation and refurbishment works.
- The Old town hall
- The Church of the great martyr St. George, Serb Orthodox church in Pašićeva street
- The Church of Virgin's name, Catholic church in the center on Trg Slobode
- Dvorac Dundjerski an old castle, wonderfully preserved, situated to the north of Novi Sad.
- The Novi Sad Synagogue, a beautiful Synagogue in the center of the city.
- Foreign art collection 29 Dunavska, 451 259 Open: 9-16 every day except on Monday. This is the largest museum collection of foreign art in Serbia and Montenegro. In 1966, Doctor Branko Ilić donated his art collection of 136 paintings of foreign artists, 279 pieces and sculptures, period furniture and other items of applied arts to the town of Novi Sad and the Province. The legacy consists of the works of Western European schools from the XVI century until the end of the XIX century, mostly from the area of Central Europe (France, Germany, Italy and Austria).
- Vojvodina Museum 36-37 Dunavska Street, 420-566, 526-555, Open: 9.00-19.00h on working days, closed on Monday, 9.00-14.00 h on weekends. Entry price for foreigners 100 RSD. Vojvodina from Paleolithic up to the XX century. Also, there's Dinaric Ethnic house "Brvnara" in Bački Jarak (15 kilometers north from Novi Sad).
- EXIT festival, . 9PM-9AM 9-12 July 2009. This festival, founded in 2000 an an onset to the democratic revolution in the country, attracts more and more visitors every year. It has a wider variety of music genres such as Rock, Dance, Reggae, Hip-Hop, Folk, and Techno. Many world famous bands played on the festival (Slayer, Moloko, Iggy Pop, Snoop Dogg, Wu-Tang-Clan, Public Enemy and many DJs from around Europe and Asia) and in the year 2004 it was listed as the biggest cultural event of South-Central/Eastern Europe.
- A stroll around the city's imposing boulevards and along the Danube river, for example the route Kralja Aleksandra - Trg Slobode - Zmaj Jovina - Dunavska - Beogradski Kej - Kej Žrtava Racije
- If the weather is nice, sit down at one of the cafés around Spens and enjoy
- The Železnicar Association of mountaineers and skiers organizes a hiking trip every Sunday on Fruska Mountain and in the Novi Sad vicinity. Trg Galerija 4, 529 978  mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must visit in summer - "STRAND" - means beach, the most beatiful sand beach on the Danube river! It is open from 15. May to 15. September 2008.
- Coats good quality (particularly for the harsh winter) and very cheap.
- Leather goods at The Manual Company, a modern franchise based on high quality luxury leather, handmade at affordable prices. Various shops, one at Zmaj Jovina 18
- Quality goods, especially sportswear, can be found at Spens
- Mercator (opened 2007 - shopping mall)
- Merkur (opened 2007)
- Bazzaar (shopping mall at the city center)
- NewNork (renovated shopping mall at the city center across the street from the Opera House)
Understand: After a hearty breakfast with meat, Serbians traditionally work eight hours straight before having their "lunch" between 15:00-18:00. Obviously this is by far the biggest meal of the day, with huge quantities of soup, roasted meat and potatoes, and a pickle salad as a side dish. Novi Sad being the capital of "bacon heartland" Vojvodina, vegetarians can be frowned upon. Restaurants are typically open until 22:00.
Fast eat at "Cezar" pizza, Modene 2
- Pizza & Gyros "Stomi" - Braće Popović 8 (Novi Sad Fair) - The one and only Gyros in town... Delicious Pizza too.
- Good Food - cheap burgers, sandwiches and gyros, Jevrejska 3 in the city center
- Obelix - Futoški put 59 - All kinds of Grill, burgers, ćevap (kebab), ... Very popular place.
- Dottore per la pizza - Maksima Gorkog 12 - Best Pizza in Town, also hot-dogs and crepes.
- Jefta - one of the most popular places to eat a hamburger.
- Bubi - one of the most popular places to eat a hamburger. Often is very crowded. Situated close to Novosadski Sajam (Novi Sad Fair) or at the Vojvodina fotball stadium
- Pekara "Djani" - Bakery (you can buy burek here). Rase Radujkova 10,Novo Naselje
- Čudesa od mesa(Čudesa od mesa), 1. Pasaž Dunavske 23 (kod R. pijace) 2.Carinska 1 (Luka Novi Sad), ☎ 021/523 444 - 064/507 99 77(email@example.com), . 06:30 - 22:30.
- Mali Niš, Fruškogorska 16, 459 521
- Niš, Jovana Popovića 27, 504 650
- Bela lađa (Bela Ladja), Kisačka Street 21, +381 21 6616-594, .
- Marina Trg Mladenaca 4, 424-353. very nice restaurant just few minutes from the centre of Novi Sad. Pleasant, with terrace and good food.
- Bor (The Pine) Temerinski put 57a, 412-424.
- Jet Set Temerinski put 41, 414-511.
- Doria, Sutjeska 2. Cafe/Pizzeria. Good pizzas and pastas, 350-500 CSD. Near the sports stadium.
- Alaska koliba Kamenička ada 1,365-683.
- Dunav Kamenička ada bb, 365-683.
- Lipa , Svetozara Miletića 7-9 (Under the lime-tree), 615-259.
- Chicken Tikka, on the Vojvodiina stadium, near building SPENS. Nice and pleasant.
- Staro zdanje, Trg Marije Trandafil 1, 527 040
- Salas 84 - excellent, about 30 km from Novi Sad to the north-east. It's worth to see it!
- Konoba - delicious fast-food experts. Awesome staff, very tasty food.
- Leskovacki Rostilj, Bulevar Oslobodjenja. Serbian version of a hamburger. Cheap, tasty and filling.
- Mediteraneo Trattoria 8, Rezervacije 021/526-322 Dostava 021/6612-621,. Sweet Italian restaurant in center of Novi Sad.Ise Bajica
- Secuan First ever Chinese restaurant in Novi Sad. Expensive for local standards, .Dunavska 16 Novi Sad 529-693
- Ribarsko ostrvo (Fishing Island) Kamenička ada bb Novi Sad 365-683
- Čerčil Natoševićeva 1 Novi Sad 525 132
- Derbi Sutjeska 2 Novi Sad 611-347
- 2 Štapića - Chinese take-out. Situated near SPENS on corner of Cara Lazara and Fruškogorska streets. http://www.2stapica.co.yu
- Surabaja Indonesian restaurant, behind the church. Primorska 26 Novi Sad 413-400
- Fontana Excellent traditional meat restaurant. Paid 90 CSD for great bowl of soup, 290 CSD for traditional Bosnian Cevapcici (ground meat skewers) and 390 CSD for a huge mixed grill. Staff very friendly, nice terrace with fountain in the summer. Also hotel. Nikole Pašića 17 Novi Sad 621-779
- A'dam [Amsterdam] Excellent new place, very tasty food. Laze Teleckog 28 Novi Sad 472-7704
- Balkan Ekspress - Dr. Vase Savica 3a, nice place offering grill and some other national meals. 021/453-100 http://www.balkan-ekspres.com/
Sandwiches & pancakes
- Frustuk bar corner Petra Drapsina and Laze Kostica Novi Sad, 021/522 777
- Any of the street vendors along Bulevar Oslobodjena
- Maja - Here you can buy Novi Sad's trademark sandwich "Index". In a place next to it, you can eat good gyros. Situated close to Novosadski Sajam (Novi Sad Fair)
- Disney - Pancakes. Bulevar Oslobodjenja 101.
- Dukat (The Ducat) Đorđa Rajkovića 12 Novi Sad 525-190 
- Jatak Danila Kisa 13, one of the finest restaurants in the region. Prices range from 10-20 Euros per main course
- Zeppelin - Kej Zrtava Racije bb, Lovely restaurant and Cafe on a ship on the Danube with a great look at Petrovaradin fortress and with quality cuisine offering wide variety of meals.
- Poslastičarnica Figaro, Mite Ružića Street, behind church in parallel street to Zmaj Jovina. Only 30 RSD for nice piece of pastry and 50 RSD for Espresso.
- Cafe Poslastičarnica Twin, Zmaj Jovina 8. Excellent cakes and coffee!
- Mozart Cafe - Cakes, ice cream and sweets. Bulevar Oslobođenja 46.
- Europa - Ice cream and sweets. Situated in city center.
- Vremeplov - Bulevar Oslobodjenja (next to EPS bilding), Wonderful 1920s looking place offering top quality sweets and coffee! You can't leave Novi Sad before visiting this great place.
GREEN HOUSE - vegetarian snacks, sandwiches, muffins, cakes VOJVODE KNIĆANINA 1, Phone: +381 21 654 1305
- Martha's Pub, Ulice Laze Teleckog. The best honey rakija in town and one of the most popular pubs with an upstairs bar and patio and downstairs bar. A "must go" to try the honey rakija...
- Bar ''Kaž'te'', Kečigina 1, Ribarsko ostrvo.
- Bela Lađa international restaurant with gipsy music in the center of Novi Sad. (http://www.restorannovisad.com) or (http://www.belaladja.com) Try all kinds of wine. On the wall of the restaurant is 2000 different bottles of wine from all over the world. Contact / Reservation information Phone: +381 21 66 16 594, +381 21 422 552, +381 21 500 190, Mobile: +381 62 418-681, +381 63 680-822, Fax:+381 21 47 25 120, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Address: Restaurant - Kisačka street 21, Rooms - Zlatne Grede street 15
As a university town, Novi Sad is known for a lively bar scene. There are lots of nice bars in the small streets to the west of Zmaj Jovina, around Njegoševa and Grčkoškolska Streets
Outdoor drinking (in summer): at Zmaj Jovina/Dunavska (slightly more relaxed) and at the sports stadium (locally referred to as Silicon Valley because of the alleged preponderance of breast implants!)
- Cuba Libre Check details at  Ulica Laze Telečkog 13 o64
- Trafika Lively young atmosphere. Ulica Laze Telečkog.
- "RST" CAFE CLUB regularly changing programs, from open jam sessions over romantic evenings to domestic rock and pop bands
- Gradiliste  (Building Site), University campus. Sat and Sun clubbing nights. During week music theme evenings: Mon/Tue specials, Wed world music, Thu hip-hop/drum'n'bass, Fri concerts. Note: didn't find this open at last visit.
- Trema (Stage fright) Probably the largest bar in Novi Sad, musical events, mixed audience. In the Serbian national theatre. Behind the entrance, take the stairs to the left. Pozorišni trg 1 Novi Sad 451-232
- Bistro extremely dark bar next to Cezar Pizza, but fairly relaxed atmosphere inside. Youngish, slightly alternative crowd. Ulica Modene.
- Sistem I dance/pick up bar, expensive and posh dress. Ulica Modene.
- Adresa cocktail bar, stylish crowd. Ulica Modene.
- Cafe "The Sting" Vojvodina Stadium 458-155 mailto:email@example.com
- Foxtrot Futoška 23 Novi Sad 622-904
- Pipping Cafe Club in the Cultural Center of Novi Sad. Katolička porta 5 Novi Sad
- NS Time Bul. Despota Stefana bb Novi Sad
- Absolut Zmaj Jovina 12 Novi Sad
- Pivnica Gusan Zmaj Jovina 12 Novi Sad - one of the best pubs
- Irish Pub - the closest you can get to an Irish pub, 
- Big mama Zmaj Jovina 2 Novi Sad 613-442
- Sterija Pozorišni trg 1 Novi Sad 451-644
- Models Ilije Ognjanovića 24 Novi Sad 612-058
- Cafe Club Bar Ego 622-029
- Club Hedonista 529-438 
- Lounge cafe club is small cafe with great music and friendly atmosphere. Welcome Space Travelers, enjoy in quality down tempo, broken beat, nujazz, soul, funky, deep house and chill music! Novi Sad, Zmaj Jovina st. 10, 
- ROUTE66 Novi Sad  Bulevar Despota Stefana 5, Novi Sad, Serbia,,; - international live concerts, great DJ music, lounge feeling, video performance, garden, promotions, company parties, birthday parties, program for kids with animation, happy hour for coffee, internet & WLAN for free, open for all kind of events, ...everytime smiling staff.
- Kafe Bar "Braća Drinić" Branka Ćopića/474-83-80  firstname.lastname@example.org
- A'dam [Amsterdam] Laze Teleckog 28 Novi Sad 472-7704
- Exit hostel accommodation  Slobodana Bajića 17. +38121 47 24 088. The best student dormitory in Novi Sad. Special price during Exit: 33 eur per person per night, minimum 4 nights. Payment at reception.
- Downtown hostel  Njegoseva 2. +381641920342. Very central hostel close to many bars and restaurants. 360 tour  €11-€18 per night.
- Hotel Boem Branka Radičevića 5 21205 Sremski Karlovci (7km from Novi Sad) 881-038 881-892  mailto:email@example.com From €17
- Apartments Stojic  Partizanska 47. +381 64 205 40 27 . In Novi Sad, 300 m far away from the Railroad station and Buss station are the private accommodations and apartments "Stojic". ] €15-€20 per night.
- " BELA LAĐA " (http://www.restorannovisad.com)(http://www.belaladja.com) street Kisačka 21. centar of Novi Sad +381 21 6616-594 or +381 62 418-681
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ,From 12 Euro per person/per night private single room. Bela Ladja is located 5 minutes walk from the Exit Festival or the Danube promenade, the famous Dunavska street and Petrovaradinska tvrdjava on the River Dunav! In Novi SadPhone: +381 21 66 16 594, +381 21 422 552, +381 21 500 190, Mobile: +381 62 418-681, +381 63 680-822, Fax:+381 21 47 25 120, E-mail: email@example.com, Address: Restaurant - Kisačka street 21, Rooms - Zlatne Grede street 15
- Voyager apartmans Strazilovska 16, Novi Sad 453-711  mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org From €45 -
- Fontana Average rooms above the restaurant, also a huge apartment. Very friendly staff though limited English. From €25 per night. Nikole Pašića 17 Novi Sad (021) 6621-779. Make your reservation online. mailto: email@example.com
- Putnik Ilije Ognjanovića 24 Novi Sad (021) 6615-555 Fax: 622-561 From 37€ mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org HOTEL BURNED IN DECEMBER 2007
- Novi Sad Bulevar Jase Tomića bb Novi Sad 442-511 Fax: 443-072 . Make your reservation online. mailto: email@example.com map From €34
- Hotel Braća Drinić Nice and modern rooms from 25 euros, Branka Ćopića 122 38121/474-83-80  firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vojvodina Trg Slobode 2 Novi Sad 622-122 615-445 mailto: email@example.com From €34
- Sajam Hajduk Veljkova 11 Novi Sad 420-266 Fax: 420-265 From €36. Make your reservation online mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Norcev Elektrovojvodina, Iriški venac 021-480-0222 021-6622-259 From €47 mailto: email@example.com
- CAR-Royal apartments is situated close to the Novi Sad Fair and is well conected to the rest of the city. Address: Cara Dusana 71, Novi Sad Phone: +381 21 63 62 200, + 381 21 63 62 201 mobile: +381 69 63 62 20 fax: +381 21 63 62 302 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org web: www.hotel-car.rs, www.hotel-car.net
Accommodation for Exit 2009 Providing safe and secure accommodation throughout Novi Sad for exit 09. From only 15 euros per day there is a wide range of apartments, houses, hostels and hotels to choose from. We also provide transport from Zagreb, Belgrade and Budapest airports and organise tours of Serbia. Contact us today for any of your inquiries. email@example.com 00381 63 782 6802
Best Wishes, Exitrooms.com
- Hotel Park 35 Novosadskog sajma, just opened. 50-400€/ bed, breakfast, swimming pool, sauna, without a residence tax
- Zenit Zmaj Jovina 18 621-444 Fax: 621-327  mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org From €50 for a room without windows,But there are also rooms with windows, hotel is in the very center of Novi Sad
- Hotel Aleksandar Bulevar Cara Lazara 79, 27 Rooms from 100euro, very modern, car park,
- Hotel Leopold I On the famous Petrovaradin fortress, spectacular views to the Novi Sad, 58 twin or double rooms and apartments, satellite tv, internet, car park
- Hotel Mediteraneao - very close to Zenit, new, sweet and modern
- Hotel Gymnas Teodora Pavlovica 28,  B&B Hotel with the largest fitness centre in the city. All our guests enjoy complimentary use of gym and sauna. Telephone: +381(0)21467710, Fax: +381(0)214740704, e-mail: mailto:email@example.com (Prices: 45-110 Euros)
- Garni Hotel Panorama 1A Futoska Street, Novi Sad  Located in the business part of the city offering all possible amenities to businessmen and other demanding travellers. Employees speak English, Dutch, and Italian. Telephone: +381(0)21 4 801 800, e-mail: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apartments during Exit festival - Novi Sad, Milos e-mail: email@example.com Mob.phone: +3816371501214
The bus station next to the train station serves a wide variety of international bus lines. To Germany ,France ,Austria , Greece, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia and Hercegovina. However, many international bus companies now prefer to use the newly built and recently open bus station at the corner of streets Sentandrejski Put and Novosadskog partizanskog odreda.
Train traffic to and out of Novi Sad is less frequent than bus, but a lot cheaper. 
Note: a significant share of this content is based on information from the Novi Sad tourist office website. 
This page was last edited at 13:53, on 18 March 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by James Yolkowski, Wikitravel user(s) Doperty, Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel and others.