Montville is a small tourist-orientated town in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland in Queensland, Australia. High in the Blackall Ranges, with some spectacular views, it's known for its large numbers of arts and crafts galleries, gift and specialty shops, tea rooms, restaurants and cafes. Located right next door to Maleny, the alternative cooperatives centre, which is famous in its own right. It is about a two-hour drive from nearby Brisbane and is generally cooler and less humid in the summer months, cold and damp in winter. The Kondalilla Falls are the most popular natural attraction in this area.
The easiest way into Montville is by road from either the south or north via the Bruce Highway to Landsborough and then up into the Blackall Ranges through Maleny.
From Brisbane go over the Gateway Bridge and through the toll leading onto the Bruce Highway. Follow the signs to the Sunshine Coast. After 10 km take the Glass House Mountains exit on the left (there is a big brown sign mentioning Beerburrum, Maleny and Landsborough). Then look for the signs for Maleny as you transit Landsborough and begin the climb up a steep road into the Blackall Ranges towards Maleny, Montville and Mapleton. Be aware that the Sunshine Coast is a popular weekend getaway for Brisbanites, so expect a slightly longer drive in this direction on a Friday afternoon. You will also have to pay the toll on the Gateway Bridge as you leave south Brisbane.
The nearest and most convenient airport (about a 35 minute drive from Montville) is the Sunshine Coast Airport  at Marcoola, near Maroochydore. Tel: +61-7-5453-1500. Next closest is Brisbane International Airport , slightly more than a hour away by road.
Montville and the other communities of the Blackall Ranges are spread out over a fairly large area. You'll need a car to enjoy your stay here.
- Range Taxi Service - Tel: 0418 711 989 (mobile) 24 hours.
- Montville Visitor Information Centre - Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5544.
- Kondalilla National Park  - on Western Avenue about 4 km north of the centre of Montville. Tel: +61-7-5494-3983. 327 hectares of lush subtropical rainforest and tall open forest plus the striking Kondalilla Falls dropping 90 metres from Skene Creek into picturesque water pools below. Parking area, picnic facilities, barbecues, shelter sheds, toilets, a lookout and three walking trails. No fresh water available. Can become quite crowded during peak holiday periods.
- Settlers Rise Vineyard and Winery - 249 Western Avenue. Tel: +61-7-5478 5558. Award-winning wines. Open daily.
- Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk  - 58 km walk through the Blackall Ranges, starting from Lake Baroon near Montville. Subtropical rainforest, tall open eucalypt forest and picturesque waterfalls. Entire walk takes 4-6 days. Tel: 13 13 04 to book campsites, which have water, toilets and platforms.
- Clock Centre, 194 Main street, Montville QLD 4560, ☎ 61-7-5442-9409, . It displays and sells various wall & grandfather clocks
- Almari Leather  - 144 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9189. Everything leather.
- Amazen Puzzles & Games  - 166 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5788. Family, party & strategy games, jigsaw puzzles, brainteasers, educational toys, gadgets and novelties.
- Australis of Montville Antiques - 162 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9400. Antiques, jewelry, Russian amber, Chinese glassware, silver collectibles and furniture.
- Cadman Cottage - 186 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9188. Books on Feng Shui personal development.
- Country Hemp  - 200 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9455. Hemp clothing and hemp seed products for skin and haircare.
- lizzart  - 11 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5104. Original art, prints, gifts, homewares, jewelry, soft furnishings and fashion, furniture, sculptures and music.
- Main Street Gallery  - 167 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5050. Australian art & design -- ceramics, glassware, jewelry, sculptures, woodcraft.
- Montville Health Foods and Hintertech Solutions - 182 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5033.
- Montville Herbs and Scents - 171 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5955. Herbal products, teas, tonics, potpourri, essential oils, soaps and lotions. Services of clairvoyant arranged by appointment.
- Montville Woods  - 158 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9398. Local handmade wood products of all kinds.
- Not Just Dolls  - 118 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9577. All kinds of dolls and teddy bears.
- Rainbow Art Gallery - 124 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9211.
- Sunshine Coast Crafts - 156 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9495. Wide range of locally-made crafts.
- The Herb Garden - 188 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9190.
- The Italian Shop  - 188 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5500. Everything Italian -- Murano Venetian glass, Italian figurines, jewelry, watches, clowns and masks.
- Treetops Gallery  - 38 Kondalilla Falls Road. Tel: +61-1800- 087-330.
- Verde of Montville - 174 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5855. Italian natural products for personal care of men & women plus quilts, towels and bed linen.
- Camphor Cottage  - 190 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9300. Traditional 'Queenslander' building with wide verandahs and a rainforest garden setting. Casual dining atmosphere and extensive menu. Breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea daily. Gift shop attached.
- Ice Cream Emporium and Cafe - 184 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5300. 24 flavours of gourmet ice cream & yoghurts plus snacks.
- Chocolate Country - 192 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9455.
- Lyles of Montville -  128 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9407. Open fire in winter. Outdoor dining available. Licensed & BYO. Open Tuesday through Saturday.
- Montville Coffee Pot - Shop 13, 168-170 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5522. Breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Caters for vegetarians.
- Montville Gourmet Pizzeria and Cafe  - 202 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9505. Casual dining or take-away. Freshly prepared pizza, pasta, burgers, salads, fish & chips plus Lavazza coffee. Open seven days for lunch & dinner.
- Montville Mountain Inn Restaurant  - Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9499. Log fire and bar. Caters for vegetarians.
- Montville Patisserie and Bakery - 176 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9487. Breads, pies and pastries are handmade on site. Tea & coffee & village views. Special flourless cakes, gluten-free or yeast-free breads available.
- Montville Views Restaurant - 170 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9204.
- Penefathings Inn  - 96 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9489. Retaurant with English pub atmosphere. Menu varies from traditional English fare to fresh seafood and curry platters with all the trimmings. Lunch and dinner seven days. Breakfasts on Sunday. 12 beers on tap and 70 wines available by the glass.
- Poet's Cafe  - 167 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5050. Coffee, cakes and snacks in lush, tropical surroundings. Breakfast and lunch seven days. Dinners on Friday. Wedding reception facilities.
- Shali's Cafe - 176 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9488. Homemade lasagne, quiche, soups and burgers. Friday night Indian smorgasboard -- all you can eat $20 per person. Open 7 days for lunch and afternoon tea. Dinner Friday night only.
- The Coffee Pot Juice Bar & Poppy's  - 168 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5522. Snacks, freshly squeezed juice, ice creams, devonshire teas, poffertjes, full meals and excellent coffee.
- Zana's at Montville  - 171 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9204. Meals with panoramic views and music.
- Penefathings Inn  - 96 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9489. English pub atmosphere. Timber bar, complete with a custom made stained glass feature, 12 beers on tap and 70 wines available by the glass. Also has a beer garden with a 'select and cook your own' barbecue set-up.
- Clouds of Montville  - 166 Balmoral Road. Tel: +61-7-5442-9174. Self-contained cottages, suites and rooms on five landscaped acres.
- Hunchy Hideaway  - 609 Hunchy Road. Tel: +61-7-5478-5470. Self-contained, air conditioned rainforest retreat. In-house massages available.
- Mayfield on Montville  - 127-133 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9499. 10 self-contained apartments near the centre of Montville with views.
- Montagues of Montville  - 77 Kondalilla Falls Road. Tel: +61-7-5445-7854. 2 self-contained, air conditioned cottages in rainforest adjacent to Kondalilla Falls National Park.
- Montville Heart Apartment - Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9529. 2 bedroom apartment in the middle of town.
- Montville Holiday Apartments  - 60-68 Western Avenue, just off Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9108. 11 self-contained units. Mountainside swimming pool, spa, mini-golf course, barbecues, views and abundant birdlife.
- Montville Mountain Inn  - Main Street. Tel: +61-7- 5442-9499. Air conditioned rooms near the centre of Montville, with conference centre and restaurant. Gardens & bush at the rear.
- Santa's Country Attic  - 146 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5547. Self-contained, air conditioned apartment decorated for Christmas all year.
- The Falls Rainforest Cottages  - 40 Kondalilla Falls Road. Tel: +61-7-5445-7000. Self-contained cottages in rainforest near Kondalilla Falls. Air conditioning for summer and wood fire for winter.
- Tree Houses of Montville  - Kondalilla Falls Road. Tel: +61-7-5445-7650. Environmentally friendly rainforest retreat with four styles of accommodation, 'from budget to luxury.'
- Lillypilly's Country Cottages, 584 Maleny-Montville Road, Maleny, Qld 4552, ☎ 61-7-5494-3002, . Visit their website to find nearby attractions
- The Narrows Escape, 78 Narrows Rd Montville, Sunshine Coast 4560 Australia, ☎ 61-7-5478-5000, . A four star accommodation
- Secrets On The Lake, 207 Narrows Rd, Montville QLD 4560 Australia, ☎ 61-7-5478-5888, . Most of the walkways in the accommodation are hand carved
- Flaxton - another small Blackall Ranges town, perhaps the prettiest of all, just a few minutes drive from Montville. See the Flaxton Barn and Model Railway.
- Mary Valley Rattler  - Tozer Street, Gympie. Tel: +61-7-5482-2750. Steam Locomotive Scenic Tours operated from Gympie, an hour's drive north of Montville. The Mary Valley Heritage Railway runs steam, railmotor and diesel passenger tours on the Mary Valley Line of Queensland Rail as a non-profit venture, owned and operated by the local community.
- The Glass House Mountains National Park  and Beerburrum and Beerwah State Forests and Forest Reserves  are all nearby.
This page was last edited at 02:13, on 19 January 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Ian Sergeant, Stephen Atkins and Patrick McDonald, Wikitravel user(s) Morph and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.