Just about one or two hours from Maracay you can find several beautiful tropical beaches, including Cata, Choroni, Cuyagua, El Playon, etc. The roads to these beaches wind through the dense mountainous cloudforest of the Henri Pittier National Park. The roads, especially to Choroni, are very narrow and windy and extreme caution should be taken if driving your own vehicle. Public transportation is easily available although can be nerve-racking: buses leave from Maracay's bus terminal and taxis can also be hired. The beaches are generally very busy on weekends.
- Plaza Bolivar shady trees in the middle of town
- Plaza Girardot to the honour of the US volunteers which were killed by the spaniards in 1806
- Museo Aeronautico, near Plaza Bolivar, one of the best aeronautic museums in South America, in particular interesting its collection of vintage helicopters.
Many good restaurants can be found along the Las Delicias avenue. Some cheap eats are found in the area of the market near Plaza Bicentenario.
- Hotel Sao Vicente, Avenida Bolivar (near Plaza Bicentenario), singles from 50 Bs.F. Matrimonial rooms for 70 Bs.F.
- Hotel Mara, Calle Mariño, singles from 65 Bs.F.
- Hotel Florida, Calle Soublette, singles from 65 Bs.F.
- Hotel Las Americas, Calle Lopez Aveleda, singles from 70 Bs.F.
- Hotel Guayana, Ave Bolivar, near Plaza Bicentenario, singles from 30 Bs.F.
- Hotel Pipo Internacional. Tel: 0243 241-3111, Av Principal El Castano, via Choroni. A plush, high rise hotel on the outskirts of Maracay, overlooking the spectacular Henri Pitter National Park.
- Eurobuilding Express. Tel: 0243 2326860. A five-star business hotel.
- Italo. Tel: 0243 246-0195 to 98. Mid-range.
- Princesa Plaza. Tel: 0243 233-0177. A good mid-range hotel in the city centre, close to Plaza Bolivar. Single room Bs.89,000 ($41); double Bs.109,000 ($51).
This page was last edited at 16:37, on 8 September 2008 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Wikitravel user(s) Ixer and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.