London - Southfields
Southfields is a small, mostly residential area in the south-west of London, between Putney, Wandsworth and Wimbledon. Southfields is the travel stop for the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, the location of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships, as the venue is actually closer to Southfields than it is to Wimbledon.
The A218 (Merton Road) leads south towards Wimbledon and Tooting, and north towards the A205 (South Circular) and the A3.
Buses 39 and 493 both service Southfields.
Southfields tube station is on the Wimbledon branch of the District line. Change at Earls Court if necessary.
By overland rail
The nearest overland rail station is Wimbledon.
Most of the amenities in Southfields are concentrated near the tube station, so most places of interest can be easily reached on foot.
- Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum, All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Church Road(Tube: Southfields. Bus: 493), ☎ +44 (0)20 8946 6131, . Open throughout the year, daily: 10.30–17:00. Last admission at 16.30. Closed on the middle Sunday of The Championships, the Monday immediately after The Championships, 24th, 25th, 26th December and 1st January. Adults £8.50, Concessions £7.50, Children £4.75.
- Watch tennis at the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships, All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Church Road(Tube: Southfields. Bus: 493), ☎ +44 (0)20 8946 6131, . The tournament runs for two weeks during June and July. Tickets start at £25 for Centre Court, £8 for the lesser courts.
- Chanteroy Delicatessen, 233a Wimbledon Park Road(Tube: Southfields.), ☎ +44 (0)20 8874 1446. Open daily: 08:00-20:00. A small delicatessen offering primarily French breads, meats and cheeses. Fresh filled baguettes are made to order for around £1.50-£3.00.
- Thai Girder, 36 Replingham Road(Tube: Southfields.), ☎ 0871 971 7344. Open daily to eat in or take away. A Thai restaurant with an iron girder running through the middle of the place.
- The Indian Restaurant, 197-199 Replingham Road(Tube: Southfields.), ☎ +44 (0)20 8870 1483. Open daily to eat in or take away. A very good Indian restaurant - more a "restaurant that does Indian food" than your traditional "curry house". The owner is very friendly, passionate about her food and always happy to help you order.Starters: £4-£7. Main courses: £8-£15.
- The Fish Peddlar, 40 Replingham Road(Tube: Southfields.), ☎ +44 (0)20 8871 4411(firstname.lastname@example.org), . Mon-Fri: 10:00-17:00, Sat: 10:00-16:00. Southfields' fishmonger. Stock can be a bit sparse early in the week, but from Thursday onwards there is usually a decent amount on offer. Orders can be placed in advance.
Southfields' two main pubs are actually next door to one another.
- The Grid Inn, 22 Replingham Road(Tube: Southfields), ☎ +44 (0)20 8874 8460. A slightly down-at-heel traditional pub.
- The Old Garage, 20 Replingham Road(Tube: Southfields), ☎ +44 (0)20 8874 9370. Larger, cleaner and more modern than the Grid.
This page was last edited at 13:08, on 15 July 2008 by Nick Roux. Based on work by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.