London - Islington
Underground stations include Angel (Northern Line, Bank Branch) and Highbury & Islington (Victoria Line). Mainline stations include Highbury & Islington, Essex Rd, and Canonbury.
Crafts Council, 44a Pentonville Road, N1 9BY (nearest tube is Angel), 020 7278 7700, . Open Tues-Sat 1100-1745, Sun 1400-1745. This gallery promotes contemporary craftspeople working materials such as metal, glass, pottery and textiles but with a unique take on each medium. The work frequently strays into contemporary art and blurs the border between art and craft. The small shop inside provides individually crafted pieces, that are as expensive as you'd expect. Free entry.
Angel Comedy Club. Camden Walk above the Camden Head Pub. This is a great club for what is new in London Stand Up Comedy. On every Sunday from 8pm for about £5
Five minutes' walk up Upper Street from Angel tube station is the small Screen on the Green arts cinema. An enormous Vue multiplex is also nearby, on the 1st floor of the N1 shopping centre, not far from Angel tube station.
The Almeida Theatre is situated on Almeida Street, just off Upper Street, slightly nearer to Angel than Highbury and Islington.
Upper Street is home to an enormous number and range of restaurants and bars - see below for more information.
Diners are spoiled for choice in Islington, especially the Upper St area between Angel and Highbury & Islington tube stations. A wide variety of cuisine and price ranges are available. Mediterranean food dominates but with options like Indian, Afghan, Italian, French, Thai, and South American there is food for all tastes.
Angel to Upper St. This stretch of road can be a diner's paradise if you know where to go. Close to Angel places are geared towards the daytime sandwich eaters and coffee drinkers. From Islington Green on you'll generally find nicer restaurants at better value. As a rule, the further towards Highbury & Islington the cheaper the restaurants, although the quality doesn't necessarily decline. Take a walk down the side-streets too as they hold some of the best restaurants, pubs, and bars. Starting near Angel, some good choices are:
- The Afghan Kitchen 35 Islington Green, N1 8DU (Nearest tube: Angel). One of the best cheap eats in london.
- Angel Mangal Ockabasi 139 Upper St (Nearest tube: Highbury & Islington). Excellent Turkish meals.
- Gallipoli and Gallipoli Again are at 102 and 120 Upper St repectively. (Nearest tubes: Angel, Highbury & Islington). Both restaurants are well known and serve great Turkish meals, for very reasonable prices. A third sister-establishment, Gallipoli Bazaar, is situated only three doors up from from Gallopoli.
- La Porchetta 141-142 Upper St, N1 1QY (Nearest tubes: Angel, Highbury & Islington). Authentic italian pizzeria: thin wood-fired pizzas, selection of pasta, antipasto, desserts, italian wine & beer. Buzzing atmosphere with service that can be brisk but is always friendly. Child friendly.
- Le Mercury 140a Upper St, N1 1QY (ph 020 7354 4088. Nearest tube: Highbury & Islington). Cosy, romantic french restaurant split amongst 3 floors. Typical french cuisine at low prices: mains around £6.
- Masala Zone 80 Upper St, N1 0NP (ph 020 7359 3399. Nearest tube: Angel). This hip Indian restaurant chain's Angel branch. Good value Indian food - try a Thali for a good sized meal with a variety of flavours. Mains around £8.
- Mem & Laz 8 Therberton St, N1 0QX (Nearest tube: Angel). Large menu of great mediterranean food, friendly staff, very reasonably priced. Their 'lunchtime' 2-course special around £7 is available to 6pm, an excellent option for an early dinner.
- Punto Zero 14 Barnsbury Rd, N1 0HB, tel 020 7713 6619, nearest tube Angel, offers authentic Neapolitan thin-crust pizzas, baked in a woodfired oven.
- Tortilla 13 Islington High Street, N1 9LQ (Opposite Angel tube station.) About £5 pp. Californian and Mexican take-away, serves fahitas/burritos/etc and mexican beers. The food is fresh and mostly organic. Well priced, very friendly staff, open kitchen. Small number of benches for eating in.
- Wagamama, 1st floor, N1 Centre, Parkfield St, N1 0PS(Nearest tube: Angel). Japanese noodle bar, one of many in the Wagamama chain. See detailed review in the Chains reviews section of London article.
- A Yo! Sushi bar is also situated next to the above.
Elsewhere in Islington
- The Northgate 113 Southgate Rd, N1 3JS (ph 020 7359 7392. Nearest tube: Old Street, then 76 or 141 bus). Excellent 'gastro-pub' menu changed daily. Pricy for a pub with mains around £10-12, but the consistently high quality never disappoints.
- The Angel
- The York
- The Nag's Head
- Pitcher and Piano
- The Bull
- Red Lion Theatre Pub
- Bar Room Bar
- Keston Lodge
This page was last edited at 00:12, on 12 December 2008 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Denis Yurkin, Stacy Hall, Ian Moore, Rory, Rory and Evan Prodromou, Wikitravel user(s) Jonboy, Huttite, Akubra, Caffeine and Steeev and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.