London - Dulwich
Dulwich has a number of recognised sub-districts, which include:
- North Dulwich, bordering Herne Hill
- Dulwich Village, which includes the traditional village centre, and is the home to the Dulwich Picture Gallery as well as James Allen's Girls' School, Dulwich College and Dulwich Park
- East Dulwich which bounds Peckham and has a number of independent shops, restaurants and bars along Lordship Lane.
Nearest railway stations:
- North Dulwich and East Dulwich (on the line from London Bridge to West Croydon)
- West Dulwich (on the line from London Victoria to Orpington)
- Dulwich Picture Gallery , Gallery Road, Dulwich Village, tel 020 8693 5254, fax 020 8299 8700, open Tu-Fr 10am-5pm, Sa-Su and Bank Holiday Mondays 11am-5pm, closed Mondays except Bank Holidays, Good Friday, New Year's Day and 24-26 December, admission adults £4, senior citizens £3, unemployed, disabled, students and children free, additional charge for special exhibitions - one of London's lesser known treasures, Dulwich Picture Gallery showcases a magnificent collection of Old Masters, including works by Poussin, Claude, Rubens, Murillo, Van Dyck, Rembrandt, Watteau, Gainsborough and many others. Originally assembled for the King of Poland in the 1790s, an alternative home was found for the collection of artworks in the "clean air of Dulwich" after the kingdom of Poland's partition and temporary disappearance as an independent state. The Gallery was designed by Sir John Soane and opened in 1817. A new extension recently completed by Rick Mather adds additional space to the compact gallery. DPG received the Museums and Heritage Award for Excellence in 2005 and was Winner of the Independent Award for Britain's Favourite Visitor Attraction. The critically-acclaimed loan exhibitions, the outstanding permanent collection, the award winning education events, and its setting in the beautiful 18th century village of Dulwich make the Gallery an essential destination for art lovers.
- Dulwich Festival  - a local arts festival held annually in May
- Pizza Express, 94 The Village, tel 020 8693 9333 - the local branch of the popular up-market pizza chain
This page was last edited at 05:13, on 27 February 2007 by Stacy Hall. Based on work by Wikitravel user(s) Jonboy and Pjamescowie and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.