Khao Lak (เขาหลัก) is a resort town in Phang Nga province on the western Andaman Sea coastline of southern Thailand, about 100 km north of Phuket Town. When the disastrous tsunami of 2004 struck South Asia, Khao Lak was the hardest-hit area in Thailand with over 4000 fatalities. It has since made an impressive recovery despite many hardships along the way, and is once again a popular tourist destination. Khao Lak mainly caters to families and those looking for R&R - party people prefer Phuket.
A taxi from Phuket airport to Khao Lak costs between 1100 and 1600 baht. If you think this is too much and prefer to take a bus, you will have to get to the main road, Highway 4, about 5 kilometers from the airport. Hop on a bus headed towards Takua Pa, Ranong or Surat Thani, they all stop in Khao Lak. It's about 80 kilometers from Phuket airport to Khao Lak.
The nearest train station is at Surat Thani on the east coast, making this an inconvenient option.
From Bangkok, buses go to Khao Lak from the southern bus terminal (Sai Tai). The trip, which costs less than 500 baht, takes about ten hours and runs overnight. Don't buy bus tickets from Bangkok travel agents - they will most likely make you go via Surat Thani where you have to change bus.
From Krabi there's a daily minibus to Khao Lak. All travel agents in Krabi sell tickets.
- Chong Fah Waterfall - about 10 minutes east of Bang Niang - great for hot days, very scenic and accessible to all.
- Police Boat 813 - one of two police boats overseeing the vacation of Khun Phum Jensen, son of former Royal Princess Ubol Ratana (his father was an American, hence the last name) at the time of the 2004 tsunami. Khun Phum was jet-skiing when the wave struck, and he and the entire crew of one of the police boats (which was sunk) died. This is the other boat, which was swept inland and has been left exactly where the tsunami deposited it as a memorial and historical landmark.
Diving - with the Similan Islands (home to some of the best diving in Asia) just offshore, this is one of the main attractions in the area. There are also several local dive sites to choose from.
- Similan Diving - Wicked, 4/37 Moo 7 Khuk Khak, Takuapa, Phangnga, ☎ +66 76 485 868(firstname.lastname@example.org), . Wicked Diving Offers one day trips to the Similan Islands with safe, secure guides. Guides speak English, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Belgian, Thai, Bahasa and German 5000 Baht.
- KrabiDivers.com, Sea of Love Plaza (opposite McDonalds), Aonang, Krabi, 8100, ☎ +66 075-695-480(email@example.com), . 24hr. Located in the heart of Aonang, the beachside town of Krabi, in the Sea of Love PLaza. KrabiDivers.com provides dive courses, trips, liveaboards, dive equipment sales and also helps customers with hotel bookings and other arrangements.
- The Milestone Travel(Khaolak), 51/16 Moo 7 Khukkhak, Takuapa, Phangnga 82190(50 m away from Bank of Ayudhaya, Khaolak. Located at side of main street, left hand side from Khaolak to Bangniang), ☎ +66 818916988, . Excursion, travel planning and hotel reservation in Khaolak ,Phuket, Krabi. Offers ecotourism in the area nearby Khaolak, such as day tour from Khaolak to Phangnga bay (James bond island), Khaosok national park, Takuapa old town, Phuket etc. with activities as you like. 1500-3000 THB.
- Sweet Peas is located walking distance from Tony Lodge(refer below) and offers Thai and western cuisine
- Coconut Grove is located on the beach in Bang Niang and features great food and very nice views for sunsets.
- Pizzeria Portofino is located in Bang Niang Beach near police boat and 7-11 shop.
- O'Connor's Irish Pub is located in Nang Thong Beach vis-à-vis 7-11 shop and Dr. Chusak. They offer good Thai and international food, Guinness and Kilkenny on tap and over 20 different Single Malt Whiskies. And they arrange a Thai cooking course. Try the Korean/Thai BBQ - it can be highly recommended!
- Pinocchio Restaurant, 67/1 moo 7 Petkasem rd. Bang Niang, Kuk Kak, Takuapa, Phang Nga Thailand., ☎ +66 (0)899232395, . Pinocchio Italian Restaurant is owned by Ramon and his wife Nit. Before the Tsunami, Pinocchio Italian Restaurant was already a well know place in Bang Niang, Thailand. Then, the december 2004 tsunami struck and Ramon lost his beloved restaurant. October 2007, Ramon is back in Bang Niang with Pinocchio Italian Restaurant even better then before ! In the nice garden with retractable roof, you can make your selection from the imported wines and beers to home made pastas and desserts. Ramon speaks 5 languages: German, English, French, Spanish and of course Italian to give you the best service. Menus in multi languages ! If you are up for some tasty home made italian food, come visit Pinocchio Italian Restaurant in Bang Niang ! Open all year!
- Takola Buri Resort, 46 Moo 2,Pakarang Cape,Takhuapa District,Phang-nga 82190, price 2500-20,000 Baht. Just open in 2008.
- Ramada Resort Khao Lak, 59 Moo 5, Tambol Kuk Kak, Amphur Takua Pa, Phone +66 76 427777 (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), . A hotel fronted by pristine white sand beaches, close to fantastic outlying islands, with lush tropical foliage, comfortable contemporary hotel rooms and villas, sumptuous dining choices, rejuvenating spa treatments. Situated on the idyllic shores of Khao Lak in Phang-Nga, Thailand, the Ramada Resort features 84 deluxe hotel rooms, including 8 exclusive Ocean Front Villas. Only an hour away by car from Phuket International Airport, Khao Lak is renowned for its tranquil surroundings and unspoilt tropical beaches.
- Khaolak Bhandari Resort, 26/25 MOO 7, KHUKKHAK,
TAKUAPA price: 2000-6000 Bht
- Tony Lodge, 6/27 Moo 5, Khuk Khak, Tha Kua Pa, Phang Nga, Thailand 82190 +66(0) 76 443 500, .
- Sarojin Resort 60 Moo2, Kukkak, Takuapa, Phang Nga, Room Rate: 6000-25000 Baht
- Motive Cottage, 26/16 Moo 5, T. Khuk Khak, Ta Kua Pa, Phang-nga, . Motive Cottage Resort is a simple but stylish boutique resort, located in the middle of Khaolak. It's location allows you to reach the beach within 10 minutes walk, get to town in just a breath-holding, or easily wander around to major tourist attractions.
- Le Meridien Khao Lak, 9/9 Moo 1, Tambol Kuk Kak, Amphur Takua Pa, +66 76 427500, .
- La Flora Resort & Spa, . La Flora is a boutique resort featuring 70 rooms and villas. The resort is located on the mainland in Khao Lak about one hour North of Phuket International Airport.
- Poseidon Bungalows, 1/6 Khao Lak, Lam Kaen, +66 76 443258, email: email@example.com, . Located a few kilometers away from the town centre, this is a very friendly and environmentally conscious place that has a small beach of its own. A two-person bungalow is 800 baht per night, a four-person bungalow is 1400 baht per night (for 2 pax 1200 baht and for 3 pax 1300 baht). Arranges snorkeling trips to Similan Islands, see the Get out section.
- Jerung Guesthouse, the main road. A modern and friendly place to stay with prices around 1000 baht per guesthouse/night
- Khaolak hotel, Hotels in Khaolak Phang Nga Thailand Free coupon discount up to 50% & Free Travel Insurance More Khaolak hotel.
- Amsterdam Resort, low budget bungalow resort close to the beach, different types of bungalows and rooms, prices range from 450 to 1000 Baht. The place has a restaurant and rents out motorbikes, and there is an internet room and an inhouse travel agency. View website:]or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone +66818575881.
- Takieng Restaurant, 26/43 Moo 5, Bang Niang(Next to the poilce boat). One of the best restaurants in Khao Lak. Decorated with many items brought from the owners home town in Northern Thialand. A great atmosphere and excellent service.
- Tiffy's Restaurant, next to Sea Dragon Dive Center. 180 Baht for dorms
- Khao Lak
- Surat Thani - gateway to the east coast islands: Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Tao
- Similan Islands - A protected Thai National Park made up of an archipelago of nine islands. Hugely popular among divers due to unbelievable underwater scenery. National Geographic nominated the Similan Islands as one of the Top-10 diving destinations in the world due to the abundance of marine life, diversity and beauty. Dive excursions depart from many points along the western shores of Phuket and Phang Nga, but Tab La Mu (just south of Khao Lak) is the closest and best sea-faring experience. Non-divers can get an equally fantastic Similan experience with Similan Tour, a Thai-Swedish agency that offers a highly recommended live aboard snorkeling tour of the islands. Most dive shops offer snorkeling along with their diving packages. Rates vary depending on the islands visited, length of stay (live-aboards are very popular)and all are very competitive in pricing.
This page was last edited at 16:59, on 25 March 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by hmu111, David, eim Juntima, Kees van Dobben, wiratm and Paul Land, Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel and others.