Jilin (吉林, Jílín）is a province in the North East of China, Part of what was once known as Manchuria. Jilin borders Heilongjiang Province the the north east. To the east of there is a short border with the Far East of Russia. The south east border of Jilin abuts North Korea. To the south west lies the Chinese province of Liaoning and to the north east is Inner Mongolia.
Jilin contains eight prefecture-level cities and one autonomous prefecture:
- Changchun (长春市 Chángchūn Shì) - The is the capital city of Jilin Province.
Prefecture level cities
- Baicheng (白城市 Báichéng Shì)
- Baishan (白山市 Báishān Shì)
- Jilin City (吉林市 Jílín Shì) - - home of the Rimmed Trees of Jilin, one of the four major natural wonders of China
- Liaoyuan (辽源市 Liáoyuán Shì)
- Siping (四平市 Sìpíng Shì)
- Songyuan (松原市 Sōngyuán Shì)
- Tonghua (通化市 Tōnghuà Shì)
- Yanbian (延边朝鲜族自治州, 옌볜조선족자치주 Yánbiān Cháoxiǎnzú Zìzhìzhōu) - This is a Korean Autonomous Prefecture who's principal city is Yanji.
- Jingyuetan National Forest Park - Eight Branches of Manchukuo in the heart of Changchun
- Changbaishan National Nature Reserve - home to Heaven Lake
- Songhuahu National Park - premier ski area of Jilin Province
- Xianghai National Nature Reserve - over 100 swamps and a wide range of wildlife
Jilin province has two public airports:Yanji Airport (IATA: YNJ, ICAO: ZYYJ); and Changchun Longjia International Airport (长春龙嘉国际机场) (IATA: CGQ, ICAO: ZYCC). Each receives domestic flights as well as international flights from Seoul in South Korea. Changchun also has a route to Tokyo, Japan. Changchun city is 31 killometres, and Jilin City is 71 Kilometres, form Changchun Longjia International Airport.
- Goguryeo Ancient sites - The remains of the ancient kingdom of Goguryeo. The Goguryeo are credited as the ancestors of the Korean people. These sites include including Wunu Mountain City, Guonei City and Wandu Mountain City; fourteen imperial tombs; twenty-six noble tombs; a General's Tomb; and the monument to the nineteenth Emperor of the Koguryo Kingdom, which are now UNESCO World Heritage Site. Most of these are around Ji'an city in Jilin though some are located in Liaoning.
- Baekdu Mountain - A mountain on the border with North Korea. A unique feature of the mountain is Heaven Lake which is high up on the mountain itself.
- Longtou Mountain - These hills contain ancient Tombs including the Mausoleum of Princess Zhenxiao and royal tombs of the Balhae kingdom. It is in Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture.
- Changbaishan - An extinct volcano near the border with Korea in the Antu county. Changbaishan is noted for its unique biology and is one of the few remaining habitats for the Manchurian Tiger.
- Puppet Emperor's Palace (偽皇宮 Wei Huang Gong) - The former residence of Puyi, the last emperor of China and the 'Puppet' Emperor of Manchuco on behalf of the Japanese. Located in the north east of Changchun.
- Wen Miao Confucian Temple - Located in Jilin city.
- Meteorite Museum (Yunshi Bowuguan)- In 1976, Jilin was hit by a heavy Meteorite storm. Many of the stones were collected and placed into this museum. The largest stone weighs 1,775kg and is thought to be the largest Meteorite in existence to date.
This page was last edited at 21:23, on 10 October 2008 by Bill Johnson. Based on work by Derek Harkness, M. Hogue, David Crompton, Andrew Haggard and Evan Prodromou, Wikitravel user(s) Morph, Episteme, WindHorse and Pashley and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.