Gemas is a town in Tampin district, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia. There is not much to do or to see but you might need to stay a couple of hours waiting for the next train or end up staying overnight. It is a small town and you can walk around the city centre in about 10 minutes.
Gemas is the junction between the West Coast and East Coast Railway lines, making it the southern end of the Jungle Railway to Tumpat, near Kota Bharu in Kelantan. All trains heading north from or south to Johor Bahru and Singapore, as well as all East Coast trains (both local and express) stop here. The ticket counter is open until 7 pm. Journey from Kuala Lumpur to Gemas about 3 hrs, similary from Singapore. RM35 First Class one way.
The Night Market A rather exciting night market awaits...as you breeze through little stalls set up only at night, selling mainly accessories, lighters, sunglasses, toys, street food, and gifts ideal for souvenirs.
- There is an old steam locomotive on display on the southern end of the train station
- 10 km to the west on Route 1 is the Sungai Kelamah Memorial, where the Gemencheh bridge was blown up by Australians resulting in the death of many Japanese during the WWII in 1942.
- Golfing* Gemas Golf Resort, 9 hole = Green fee + Buggy = RM40.00 (twin sharing). 18 hole = Green fee + Buggy = RM70.00 (twin sharing). Tel: 07- 948 2687
- Swimming* Gemas Golf Resort. Open daily. Swimming class on every Sunday,8.30am to 10.30am. Tel: 07- 948 2687
As there are only few tourists around everything is cheap be it from the shops around the train station or from the market (walk down the road from the train station to the other end - about 300 m)
- Gemas Curry Point, about 200 m from the train station on the street into town on the left side. Indian food for around RM3.00 a dish. Some English spoken. Tel: 07- 948 1861
- Chinese Restaurant Wang Lai, but walk straight from the train station thru the first major intersection. On the left side past the convenience store is the restaurant. You'll know it because it's clean. They speak English and have clean toilets and cold beer. Run by mother and daughter.
- tropicana-cafeNewly opened recently at 1st floor of Tropicana Hotel.Opens daily from 7.30am to 10.30pm. Must try their chicken chop and fried chicken. Reasonable price.
- Worldwide Internet Cafe* Tel: 07- 948 4811
- Restaurant International* Chinese restaurant. Delicious chinese food with fair price. Tel07- 948 1699
- Mustafa Nasi Ayam* Open at Bas station. Next to the bowling centre. Halal chicken rice shop. Famous chicken rice,fair-price and meal quantity and quality in comfirm to full up your stomach. Open from 10.30am to 5.00pm. Tel: 07- 948 5110, 017-6092864
- Hot Bread Confectionery* Tel: 07-948 5077
- Phuan, firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy Restoran, about 100 m to the right along the row of shophouses on the first street just outside the train station. The chinese woman sells all kinds of noodles (soup or fried), rice dishes & drinks (hot & cold) for RM3 - RM4. Food is good & cook when you order. Chicken Rice - Turn left at the first main intersection after leaving the train station then take the first right. This shop is the first shop to the right & end of this shophouse is Tropicana Hotel. Hot Bread Confectionery* Tel: 07-948 5077 - Turn left at the first main intersection after leaving the train station then take the first right. This shop is one of the shophouse on the left.
- Hung Suan, in the pink building you can see from the exit of the train station, has rooms with partitions only part way up to the ceiling. Strictly for the desperate.
- Bee Chew, on the other side of the same street as Hung Suan, RM 30 for a single room.
- Hotel Gemas
- Gemas Golf Resort, Gemas Golf Resort is inconvenient for walking travellers from Gemas town & railway station. Rates from RM84. They have a 18 holes golf course. nice place for golfers. You may purchase train ticket online at: http://www.ktmb.com.my.
Tel: 07- 948 2687, 07- 948 3252 (night), Email : email@example.com , Website: http://www.gemasgolfresort.com
- Tropicana Hotel. This has recently opened. Approx.100m from train station. Turn left at the first main intersection after leaving the train station then take the first right.Walk to the next intersect and it's on the corner (right side). Very clean. Provided with lift service. Reasonable rates from RM51 per night - included breakfast. You need to give a deposit of RM50 per room, They take credit card and it's in the centre of town.24Hr Hotline Tel & Fax 07-948-2668 or 6019-779-1357 email firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted by Shane
Edited by Billion edited by clyde.
There is an internet cafe close to the train station. Turn right at the first intersection and after about 50 m on the right side is a small doorway with a sign "cybercafe". 2,5 RM/h
This page was last edited at 02:08, on 13 March 2009 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Liz, Roland and Jani Patokallio and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.