3,600 residents form a community that is rich in history, claiming the homesite of the 18th President of the United States, Ulysses S. Grant. More than a thousand buildings in Galena are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Many of the elegantly restored homes are now bed & breakfasts or open to the public for tours.
The quality of life in the Galena area is very good. It has quality schools, a public library, excellent medical facilities, and an abundance of cultural and recreational activities.
Galena is situated in western Jo Daviess County in the very northwestern corner of Illinois. It borders Wisconsin to the north and the Mississippi River lays just to the west.
- StoneHouse Pottery & Gallery, 414 Spring, 815-777-0354. Offers once-monthly "Glaze and Graze" deals, whereby participants can decorate their own three-piece dinnerware set and put it to use the next night at the Great Galena Cookery.
- Great Galena Cookery
- Perry Street Brasserie A terrific "find" off the Main Street. Pricey - but worth the money.
Bed and Breakfasts
- Abe's Spring Street Guest House, 414 Spring, 815-777-0354, . Also home of the StoneHouse Pottery & Gallery. Rooms from $94-$129.
- Cloran Mansion Bed and Breakfast, 1237 Franklin St. Galena, 1 815 777-0583, . Experience the luxury of fireplaces and whirlpools for two. Lounge in the soft robes provided while watching a complimentary video from our extensive collection. Enjoy all of the amenities including TV/VCR/DVD, CD stereo, private baths, mini fridge with complimentary beverages, candies, candle lights and more. DSL wireless internet access available for guests.
- Farmers' Guest House, 334 Spring St., 888-459 1847, . Galena's only 19th century restored inn located 2 1/2 blocks from downtown's restaurants, attractions and shops. 9 guest rooms including Annie Lloyd's Cottage - deluxe whirlpool fireplace suites.
- Galena Log Cabin Getaway & Adventure Creek Alpaca Farm, 9401 W. Hart John Rd., (815) 777 4200,. See a working alpaca farm and stay in one of 12 authentic hand-made log cabins on 45 lovely acres. Walk along Adventure Creek running through the middle of the property. Visit the largest wetlands in Jo Daviess County east of the Mississippi River. Hike along 2 miles of trails. Keep your eyes open for the Hines Emerald Dragonfly...it's an endangered species that you might see here. And when the stars come out, view them without any light pollution. Children are welcome but no pets. Each cabin has room for 4 - a new queen bed downstairs and a new full bed upstairs on the loft. Enjoy a fireplace, satellite TV with 180 channels, CD/DVD player, 4 cu ft refrigerator, microwave, central air and furnace. Behind a closed door is a full bathroom with a Kohler double whirlpool with a skylight overhead so that you can enjoy the awesome night sky. 4 miles south of Galena & 4 miles north of Chestnut Mountain. Established in 1991.
- Goldmoor Inn, 9001 Sand Hill Rd, 800-255-3925, (Fax: (815) 777-3993), . The Goldmoor Inn and Aaron's Cottages and Cabins are high atop the bluffs overlooking the majestic Mississippi River. Our accommodations are contemporary and uniquely furnished and decorated. Grand deluxe cottages, elegant log cabins and deluxe suites provide guests with exceptional amenities.
This page was last edited at 15:55, on 3 August 2007 by David. Based on work by Marc Heiden, Stacy Hall, Jeff Logan, Evan Prodromou and Bill Johnson, Wikitravel user(s) Jonboy and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.