One third of the residents are involved with the university (students, reseachers etc.), and another third work for Siemens.
Medicine is one of the specialities of the University, so you are in luck if you fall ill with over six clinics located within the city.
By public transport
- Schlossgarten, large green area surrounded by university buildings.
- Hugenotten church
- Martin Luther Church
- City Museum
- Der-Berg-Ruft.De: Homepage of the Bergkirchweih (German only), held at pentecost for twelve days each year. Similar to Oktoberfest, but more German owing to the absence of tourists.
- Nürnberger Straße, south of the main post office, is lined with a selection of shopping opportunities.
- Döner shop on the Hauptstraße
Murphy's Law - Irish pub in Lorlebergplatz - has a great Chicken and Mushroom pie.
You can play darts and eat fish and chips at the Dartmort Inn.
E-Werk often has stuff happening.
- Youth hostel, Südliche Stadtmauerstraße 35, +49 9131 862555, Fax:+49 9131 862119. DJH hostel. Preference given to under 26-year-olds. In the Freizeitzentrum, where you will also find a pool etc.
- Gasthof Schwarzer Bär, Innere Brucker Straße 19 (one block south of the train station), +49 9131 22872, Fax:+49 9131 206494. Single room with shower/shared €30/26; double with shower/shared €47/36; three-bed room with shower €62.
This page was last edited at 22:25, on 23 February 2009 by Peter Fitzgerald. Based on work by Michael Kreis, StefanF, Ryan Holliday and Sebastian, Wikitravel user(s) W66LinkBot and Brendio and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.