Pennsylvania's Erie Region is aptly named; Erie is its largest city and Lake Erie is its favorite destination. The area claims a population just short of 1 million people with steady increases since the last census.
- Crawford County
- Erie County
- Mercer County
- Venango County
The Erie Region of Pennsylvania, characterized by its connection to the Great Lakes, stands in contrast to downstate Pennsylvania. The region specialized in ship-building, shipping, and industry more closely related to the Great Lakes cities of Buffalo and Rochester, rather than the oil refineries in cities like Philadelphia and the steel industry of Pittsbrugh. The region has close ties to Great Lakes sports teams, including the Buffalo Bills and Detroit Redwings. Northwestern Pennsylvania is much like Western New York, in that it is entirely different from the eastern, more coastal half of the state. It is also much colder and snowier with "lake-effect snow" falling almost every day during the Winter months. Lake effect snows occur quite often in the winter months, however, they are more of a threat when the wind comes from the northwest, usually after a low pressure passes through the area.
Great Lakes dialect has a strong presence in northwestern Pennsylvania. One would be hard-pressed to distinguish between those who live in western upstate New York (Rochester, Buffalo) and those who live in Erie. Many O's become A's ("mam" instead of "mom," for example).
The Erie Region is closest to Erie International Airport and to the larger Pittsburgh International Airport and Buffalo International Airport for air travel. Some taxis can be found in Erie, PA, but car is the preferred and recommended method of travel for the region.
- Lake Erie During the summer months, Lake Erie is just like any beach along the coast and has its own cultural flair that is sure to add to the experience of going to an inland beach!
- Presque Isle State Park, Penninsula Drive, Erie, PA. A State Park that is open year round with miles of beaches, paved trails and beautiful views.free admission.
- Waldameer Park and Water World, 220 Penninsula Drive, Erie, PA(I-79 to West 12th, take Penninsula Drive North), ☎ 814-835-7435, . vary. Family oriented amusement and water slide parkfree admission. (42 05 N,-80 10 W)
- Nunzi's Place, 2330 E 38th St, Erie, PA 16510(I-90 State Street Exit North to 38th Street, then 2 miles east), ☎ (814) 825-2940. Family owned Italian restarant with a huge menu filled with pizza, pasta, salads and sandwhiches at very reasonable prices.
- Buffalo is an hour and a half east on I-90.
- Cleveland is a couple of hours west on I-90.
- Finger Lakes
- Holiday Valley