Christiansted is a town on the island of Saint Croix in the Virgin Islands. Christiansted was the capital of the Danish West Indies from 1755 to 1871 and is a charming town with distinctive Danish architecture.
- Island Lynx Ferry (340) 713-5969. The ferry runs between the Marine Terminal at Gallows Bay and the Marine Terminal at Charlotte Amalie (next to the Seaplane Terminal) on St. Thomas. Arrive at least 45 minutes prior to departure. Rates (2006): Adults: $44 one-way, $78 roundtrip. Senior (over 60): $41.50 one-way, $73 roundtrip. Children 2-11: $39 one-way, $68 roundtrip. Children under 2 years old: $4 one-way, $8 roundtrip.
- The United States Park Service maintains a 27 acre area, Christiansted National Historic Site, along the waterfront that used to be a busy center along the trade routes.
- Fort Christiansvaern - Well-preserved Danish yellow brick fort from the late 1700s. M-F 8AM-5PM; Sa,Su 9AM-5PM. Closed on Federal holidays. Admission $2.
- Old Danish Customs House
- Steeple Museum
- Government House
- Apothecary Museum
- Old Scale House
- Buck Island Reef National Monument, Buck Island, Tel: 340-773-1460, . Year round. Buck Island information is available at the National Park Service visitor contact station at Fort Christianvaern in downtown Christiansted. Walking trails through frangipani trees, organ pipe cactus, and underwater trails for snorkeling. Picnic areas. Five concessionaires offer trips to Buck Island form St. Croix under permits. There is no overnight camping on the island; the park is closed from sunset to sunrise to protect nesting sea turtles that come ashore at night. Anchorage is available overnight to boaters within the designated area. A permit is required to anchor within the designated area.
- Salt River Bay National Historic Park and Ecological Preserve - The park is a living museum where nature and history blend. It was set aside to preserve, protect, and tell the story of its rich contributions to the nation’s natural and cultural heritage
- S.C.U.B.A., 14 Caravelle Arcade, Phone: 340-773-5994, .
- Big Beards Adventure Tours, Toll Free: 866-773-4482, Telephone: 340-773-4482, .
Stixx on the Waterfront, Tel: 340-773-5157. Restaurant open M-W 11AM-11PM. Quality, delicious food and "Pour your own drinks" on the boardwalk. Reservations available for parties of 5 or more. Friday and Saturday "Late Nights" with music and dancing until the party stops! Live music Sunday afternoons. "Best view in Christiansted!"
- Rumrunners, 44A Queen Cross Street(on the boardwalk in Christiansted in Hotel Caravelle), ☎ (340) 773-6585, . Waterfront location..watch the seaplanes take off and land, see Captain Carl Holley bring in the catch of the day, and enjoy a perfect blend of local and American flavors. Open for breakfast, lunch & dinner 7 days a week, and Sunday brunch with live steel pan music!
Stixx on the Waterfront, Tel: 340-773-5157. Friday and Saturday "Late Nights" with music and dancing until the party stops! Live music Sunday afternoons. "Best view in Christiansted!"
- The Buccaneer Hotel, Christiansted, ☎ 340-712-2100, .
This page was last edited at 11:40, on 22 December 2008 by Jani Patokallio. Based on work by David and M. Hogue and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.