Chatham is a town on the River Medway in the north of the English county of Kent. Together with its neighbouring towns of Rochester and Gillingham it forms a large urban area known as the Medway Towns.
- From London, take the A2 arterial road (32 miles / 51 km).
- From Canterbury, take the A2 and the M2 to Junction 3 for the Rochester exit (32 miles / 51 km, about 40 mins).
Chatham Station  is located near the shopping area of the town. Trains are operated by SouthEastern From London Charing Cross (via Dartford) (typical journey time 60 - 65 minutes) and Victoria (typical journey time 45 - 60 minutes). Trains from Ramsgate and Dover also serve Chatham. As of 2006 the old slam-door trains on the Victoria - Ramsgate/Dover route have been replaced with more modern rolling stock.
Local buses are operated by Arriva .
- The Historic Dockyard  01634 823807. An old naval dockyard now run as a museum. Open daily in spring and summer, weekends only in winter.
- Fort Amherst  Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4UB 01634 847747. Open daily in summer.
- The New Art Centre, 272 High St, Chatham ME4 4BP, Tel. 01634 812108 . Charity run art gallery with "wireless internet cafe" - free admission.
- Cruise on the Kingswear Castle Paddle Steamer 
- The Feast, 10 Batchelor Street, Chatham, ME4 4BT. Good basic turkish restaurant. Although they do kebabs (and other stuff) it is nothing like a kebab shop. A good 3 course dinner with soft drinks (they do sell wine and beer) cost £10.
The Medway Council list accommodation on their website .
- Medway Youth Hostel, Capstone Road, Gillingham, ME7 3JE 0870 770 5964 . 40 bed summer hostel about 4 miles from Chatham, housed in a districtive converted Oast House in a semi-rural setting.
Bed and Breakfasts
- St George Hotel, 7-8 New Road Avenue, Chatham, Kent. ME4 6BB Tel: 01634 841012,  About 5 minutes walk from Chatham station. Single rooms £40, doubles £60.
- Holiday Inn Rochester, Maidstone Road, Chatham, ME5 9SF 0870 400 9069. Modern hotel about 4 miles from the town centre.
- Ramada Encore Chatham, Western Avenue, Chatham Historic Dockyard, ME4 4NT, 0844 8010 313.  Opened in 2007, located near the entrance to the Dockyard and Dicken's World, and 1-2 miles from the town centre. Rooms about £60 without breakfast.
This page was last edited at 18:00, on 14 October 2008 by Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel. Based on work by Wikitravel user(s) AlasdairW.