Cartago is a city in Costa Rica.
There are many buses running between San Jose and Cartago. For c300 you will be able to catch a bus downtown or most anyplace along Av 2. They run every 15 minutes.
- Irazu Volcano Located around 30 km (12 miles) from Cartago downtown is one of the most famous volcanos in Costa Rica. This volcano erupted in 1963 when John F Kennedy was visiting Costa Rica, right now is extinguished.
- Orosi Valley Beautiful landscape. Orosi is a small town about 12 km (8 mi) east of Cartago where you can see one of the first churches built in Costa Rica. Is surrounded by beautiful mountains and coffee plantations. Easily you can find hostels, hotels and restaurants in the area.
- Cachi Dam Is next to Orosi around 7 km (5 mi) east. A Dam was built in the 70s and the lake is surrounded also by beautiful mountains. Cachi is also a little town where "casa del leñador" or the woodcutter house can be found. It is a place to buy woodcraft made from the coffee roots. Some very good restaurants are located around the lake, the speciality is "Trout"
Trout growers are very often in this are of Costa Rica and you can catch the fish for yourself and just wait to be fried afterwards. The Area has experienced a very important grow for people that look for properties specially foreigners. Few years ago a five star Hotel was opened RIO PERLAS and another is on paper right now that will offer stay for people that is in Costa Rica for a special health treatment.
- Turrialba Is the second city of the Province. It is located around 40 km (25 mi) east of Cartago downtown. Is the house of the best rafting of Costa Rica. Very good hotels are here (Casa Turire, Pochotel) specially around the lake that was created for a big Dam. The Turrialba volcano is active and you can see it from different places (gases only) Hotel Turrialba Lodge is one that is very close to the volcano. Also in Turrialba you can find the only big archaeological site of Costa Rica, Guayabo.
- The Lankaster Botanical Gardens in Paraiso, just outside of Cartago (7 km east). Home to Central America's largest collection of orchids and epiphytes, Lankaster is a must see.
- The Basilica home of "La Virgen de los Angeles"
It is believed by a great many Costa Rican's that it is this virgin that protects Costa Rica from natural disasters. Every August 1st over a million Costa Rican's walk to Cartago from all over the country to commemorate the date, recently many tourists join the trip which is around 25 km (15 mi).
- Las Ruins
The church has been rebuild, but each time it was brought down by earthquake. The city abandoned the church as cursed after the final destruction in 1910 and left it as the ruins you can now see when you visit the town square.
DoGood Friday Procession
Romero Starting the end of July some 1.5 million people WALK to the Bacilica in Cartago to honor the Black Virgin. Streets are filled, traffic redirected, vendors are out in force. Final day of the walk is 2 August (see above for the legend).Return of the Virgin
Go to the "Basilica de los Angeles" and buy a souvenir there. "Casa del soñador" Dreamer's House is a must visit in Cachi.
Ask for "comida tipica" or typical food when you get to Cartago. These restaurants are found specially on the way to the tourist areas as Irazu Volcano, Paraiso, Orosi or Turrialba. In Cartago downtown besides typical restaurants and International food you can find chains like Burger King, Mc Donald`s, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Pollos Campero and Pollos AS.
"Chaguite" is the name of a beverage that was invented in Cartago many years ago. This drink is hard to find nowdays but you can go to the central market and ask for it. It has a sweet flavor like anis. "Guaro Cacique" is the national drink of Costa Rica and is like a vodka. This drink can be found in bars, restaurants or supermarkets
- Selva Verde Lodge The tranquil natural scenery which surrounds it will provide you with the enjoyment of the natural richness of the rain forest. The exquisite combination of the infrastructure and nature make this place the appropriate site for bird watching and educational tours.
This page was last edited at 21:23, on 5 March 2009 by Colin Jensen. Based on work by Phil Morgan-Ellis and Tom Holland, Wikitravel user(s) Morph, Episteme and Jonboy and Anonymous user(s) of Wikitravel.